Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Terrified of colonoscopy.

Re: Terrified of colonoscopy.

make sure to chill the liquid-take a mint with it and a nice swig of some cordial you like too! Also drink with a straw right to aback of mouth helps! mine was moviprep-wasn't too bad really. certainly didn't make me gag or anything.
    good luck
    the folk on here helped me tremendously!
    Nigela

I am currently half way through my first liter of moviprep. I had my first glass with lemon cordial, i had prepared for something really bad and it only tasted like lemon cordial, i started to wonder if i had missed something.

Then started my second glass with lime cordial, then it started to get more difficult. It has a weird thickness. I started to feel a bit sick and dehydrated so im gonna take a break and drink some normal water for a bit.

It still dosn't seem to be as bad as some people describe though, maybe it will get worse.

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:35 ----------

Yep, its got much worse lol. It's not so much that the taste is bad but i very nearly vomit every time i drink it. I have 1 glass left but its already kicked in and i keep having to run to the toilet.

Finished off the rest of the Moviprep this morning. Again, I couldn't finish the last glass but I think i did quite well overall. It really wasn't too bad i just felt like i would vomit if i kept drinking towards the end.

If that really is the "worst part" then the colonoscopy itself wouldn't be bad at all. Unfortunately I very much doubt that will be the case for me, needless to say I didn't really sleep last night and am a nervous wreck.

The worst part is over if you have finished the Moviprep (that was the worst part for me) I got so anxious about the colonoscopy but I needed have. I wouldn't be anxious if I had to have another one (apart from taking the moviprep). Hope all goes well for you, will be thinking about you

I am back from the hospital and unfortunately it did not go well. I waited for a long time anxious as hell. I made sure with both the doctor and the nurse that if it got too painful i would ask them to stop and they both agreed.

So they put the pain killers and the sedation in, it didn't really effect me at all other than a few minutes of feeling light headed. Then they put the camera up my rectum which was fine but then 3cm inside my colon it was just too painful to the point of where i instantly pulled the camera back out myself because i couldn't stand it. That is completely out of character with me and i kept apologizing but i couldn't help it.

They were very patient and nice about it and told me not to worry. We tried again in a few different positions and with a smaller scope, but nothing worked, i just couldn't cope with the pain. One of the nurses suggested that i just tried to endure it because its very important to get it done, but the male doctor just said that it shouldn't be forced if its intolerable which I agreed.

I feel really disappointed with myself for not being able to go through with it. They told me not to worry and that some people just have a sensitive colon. I can't praise the staff enough and if i knew they were going to be that nice I wouldn't have worried at all.

I can see where all of the horror stories come from now and if the doctors had tried to force me to go through with that then i would be traumatized as well. They said they will try and plan for me to have it under general anesthetic but it might be a very long wait. They also seemed quite concerned about my symptoms so no doubt i will just keep worrying about that.

I don't know if its because i do have a sensitive colon, or a low pain threshold or immune to the sedation or that i just got myself too worked up. I am quite disappointed but at least im not traumatized.

Really sorry it didn't go well for you. Maybe they gave me more sedation than you had because I wasn't aware of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie0904 View Post
    Really sorry it didn't go well for you. Maybe they gave me more sedation than you had because I wasn't aware of anything.
    Yeah, I find it amazing that some people don't remember anything or feel like they were in twilight sleep. I had none of that, just a little bit hazy at first. I'm pretty sure they gave me the maximum amount towards the end because I was complaining so much but it just had no effect on me. I could have easily driven home if i had to and feel completely normal now.

I think you were so tense and you expected it to be so bad that it was in the end.

Surely the risks of having a general are something else to worry about though?

Ask them if you can have a CT scan. Another member on here is having hers done that way.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    I think you were so tense and you expected it to be so bad that it was in the end.

Surely the risks of having a general are something else to worry about though?

Ask them if you can have a CT scan. Another member on here is having hers done that way.
    I'm not sure what the risks are for a GA, they seem to be used for colonoscopies in America quite often. I did mention a CT scan but they said it wouldn't be thorough enough to detect whatever is causing my symptoms.

What do you think you will do next? Maybe try it again or go for the general?

The scan is a specific one - I can't remember the name of it though

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information