Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long will this last, i cant take much more!

How long will this last, i cant take much more!

Hello, ok so you may have read some of my posts recently and know that I have been on citalopram for about 16 days now and I have been having high anxiety. I felt ok today, for the last week or two I have felt moments of okish-ness and then time where I feel terrible, now feel horrible. Everything scaring me, the world seems to big, I can't breathe and feel terrified.
    I know that this is probably the cit, just side effects but. Can't stop it and I don't like it. What should I do? When will this stop and will it last forever because I can't handle that. I've been on this earth for 27 years and nothings changed except me, so I don't know why I feel so scared. If I stopped the meds would I feel better? Or should I up my dose?
    Any advice would be great!!
    Thanks
    Hannah x x x

Re: How long will this last, i cant take much more!

You are only just in! I am on day 32 of Cit and it WILL get better. I still have negative thoughts that don't help. What are you doing right now? What can you do to distract. I love this forum..I really do..but sometimes I just get off the laptop and go and live life...clean up...Go to the shop..chat to someone..Anything to change the negative cycle and these awful thoughts you are having. You won't need to up the dose because you are only a few weeks in and still getting side effects etc. It really is horrendous and my worst symptom is that pure dread and doom that all is just not right about everything. Can't even put it into words but it is a worse feeling than the thought of death to me. The feeling is fear I think...Not about anything specific..Don't stop the meds...These feelings are not forever and they will pass xx

Just to reiterate what Loopylu said, stick with it, it is still early days. I am 5 weeks in and just beginning to see changes for the better.

As Loopylu suggests, distraction to break the thought cycle, maybe go for a walk in a nearby park. Maybe try and think of something you used to enjoy doing that you don't do anymore but would like to do again - that's an idea from a CBT book I have at the moment....making a plan to start bringing enjoyment back into life for me, its reading books, or doing cross stitch - I used to love doing these things but seem to have let them slip from my life.

Keep going, things *will* get better x

Thank you again loppylu and little scientist, you'll probably never know how much comfort I get from your reples! Thank you. I just feel a bt like I'm going to lose control, go crazy. Its a horrible horrible feeling and I'm so tired of being scared. The world feels scary and different to the one I grew up in. But I know its me who's changed and not the world and I'm scared. I feel trapped and like everythings odd and wrong. I feel tense and like its a never endng cycle. Sorry for the rant I feel like when I come on this amazing forum its therapy.
    I need to train my brain to stop freaking out!! Luckly I have been referred to cbt in the next few weeks so hopefully that will help!!
    Thanks again, sending lots of love!!
    Hannah x x

Hannah, I can so easily relate. I grew up happy and confident and outgoing, and now, I am a different person.

And rant away! Everyone needs to vent from time to time

CBT is known to be very effective, so hopefully that will go well for you! I have just started CBT and my counsellor at work has agreed to monitor and guide me through it which I think will really help me

Lots of love n hugs!

Hi guys: I am so scared too. Day 7 on Cipralex. Just pacing from room to room, can't eat, can't read. If this anxiety would just stop I could have a chance. Tell me something, anything to get me through the next few hours. Have pyschologist appoint at 5, was so hoping to be the tiniest bit better by now.

Hi Hannah...I'm on day 18 and I feel just like you. Today is the first day that my stomach has stopped churning quite so much, but I still feel shaky all the time. One minute I feel happy and able to cope, the next I feel anxious and depressed. It's exhausting...like a rollercoaster. Can't wait for these side effects to go. I'm just trying hard to keep going, I don't want this to affect my work - they've been so understanding.

Everyone's advise has been spot on....distraction is best. Talk to those close to you, it will help. Think for now, the name of the game is simply surviving this.

Love to you all xxx

---------- Post added at 19:28 ---------- Previous post was at 19:25 ----------

...on the plus side, I'm not drinking any alcohol and don't want to eat a lot due to the shaking/churning stomach - might lose those pounds that I've been trying to shift! :-)

Hi cos123, I know how you feel because I feel it to. I'm scared, but you need to try like I'm trying to keep the facts in the forefront of your mind, your not going to go crazy or become ill its paniic/anxiety/medication pure and simple. In our panic stricken state reality gets lost and all we feel is scared, its not real its just our silly minds. People on here have been amazing to me over the last 2 weeks and longer when I've had bad episodes, take their advice like I am trying to, distract yourself, talk to your friends or family. Its hard, so hard at times. Sometimes I want to wallow in it all and feel sorry for myself and sometimes it helps to be self indulgent, but it doesn't last long.
    We will get through this, we have to believe that we really do. It won't be like this forever.
    Sending lots of hugs and love to you.
    Hannah x x

---------- Post added at 19:45 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

Ally2012, thanks for your reply.
    Your right everyone's advice on here has been spot on, distraction has been the key for sure. I'm trying to keep myself busy busy all the time.
    And yeah I've lost a bit of weight to, I need to lose a few pounds so I'm happy about that!!
    Hannah x x

Hi im in exaclty the same boat as you, am just over 2 weeks into citalopram and have felt terrible but I have taken it before and it does get better. It sounds so rubbish but today I went out and bought a new laundry basket and sorted out all my clothes draws, its something which has been bugging me for ages and actually feel better that I have now done it than I have in weeks. I find having a kinda structured plan of your day is good and I have also started taking a b vitamin, omega oils and magnesium as have read these are suppossed to help aswell. Also I have been taking time out every day to cook a meal from scratch, not only is it really healthy but it is therapeutic and gives you something to focus on daily, like planning the meal and getting the right ingredients etc. Tomorrow I am off to treat myself to an Ipod and then am going to start running again, hope you feel better soon

thank you Hannah. I just have no perspective right now, my body feels like a run away train I can't control and people are pushing me to get better fast which is pressure too.

It feels good to talk to somone who actually feels this too. I'm so tired

love and hope to you too

cos123

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information