Thread: Struggling - worse when I'm alone.

Unhappy Struggling - worse when I'm alone.

Hi all,

I've just spent a couple of weeks staying with some friends and was relieved to find that a lot of my anxiety seemed to fade away while I was there. Had the occasional anxious thought but was able to shake it off.

Now I'm back in my flat (which I love) and working from home alone and the dreaded anxiety has returned. I find it's SO much worse when I'm alone and have nobody to distract me. Does anybody else find this?

I work freelance so work from home and during the day my flat is empty. I'm considering going to a Starbucks and working there all day but know I will spend loads of money if I do. I just need some company so my thoughts can't pick up speed and run away with themselves!

I'm a bit dismayed as well because that was a relatively long period to be panic-free for me, and now it's back I'm blue. I'm bad at being scared of the anxiety. So every time I feel a bit blue or fed up, I end up going, "Is this going to make me anxious?" And then getting freaked out and scared about that, until it does make me anxious. Really want to break that pattern and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to shake things up a bit, or if anyone else worked from home/alone and had tips on distraction or something. Sometimes I find heading out and going for a walk, just locally round the block, helps but ultimately I have to come back and I've even started to find my local area a bit depressing because I'm starting to associate it with 'walking off anxiety'!

I used to love having time to myself and I love this flat and should be really enjoying it while my flatmates are out at work but I can't wait for one or both or them to come back to keep me company. I'm increasingly dependent on other people and it's really getting me down.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

x

Re: Struggling - worse when I'm alone.

I understand what you mean as my husband works away during the week. I am usually at work but since my accident in June I have been home all the time. I can't use the car because of my foot and have only just been able to go for a little walk in the last 2 weeks. Since I have been home alone I have become more anxious and panicky again and the thought of going out is scaring me. I guess I will just have to take it in little steps (nothing to do with my foot!). I keep the TV on all day to give me company and I have a cat who won't leave my side.

Yeah I put the TV on mute in the background while I work and I find that helps! Sometimes I messenger other friends/family online as well to feel like I have a bit of company. Used to love being alone, so it's a bit sad that it's now a point of fear. hey ho! x

I feel the same. I hate being alone as it makes me feel worse. I think being alone alot was a major cause of my anxiety in the first place, too much time to sit and think about things.

I find being alone worse also :-(

It's a horrible feeling :(
    On wednesday I have to go back home for 2 weeks without my partner and it makes me feel physically sick, I've cried myself to sleep twice this week because the idea of leaving him is like a treat to my anxiety!!!

Thread Information