Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hobbies

Smile Hobbies

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking that I need to take up a new hobby as I believe it will be an excellent part to my recovery. I'm not really sure what though, so I'd like to ask everyone on here for some inspiration. What are your hobbies or what were your hobbies, or do you have any suggestions? I'm not on a big budget, so flying lessons and sky diving might have to be put on hold, lol.

I look forward to reading them.

Take care

Rebecca

Re: Hobbies

Hi Rebecca,

I want to start some new stuff too. I love reading already, so joining your local library or finding a secondhand bookshop near you is a good way to start a new hobby for little to no cost.

I'm also thinking of taking up cross stitch: that way I can make Christmas presents for people that are personal and don't cost the earth whilst keeping myself entertained!

Hope that helps! Keep us updated on what you decide on in the end,

Danny xxx

i'm really into cross stitch at the moment, i started by getting some little christmas designs (they came with the fabric, threads and needle) but have now progressed into larger designs (am currently doing a goonies inspired one for a christmas present).

Other things i enjoy is beading/jewellery making, reading, baking and to an extent drawing.

Good luck finding something you enjoy!

I like most things crafty I do cross-stitch (am currently working on THIS), baking & cake decorating (see HERE), dressmaking, card making, and I'm just learning to knit. I also like reading and modern jive dancing.
    Last edited by Elle-Kay; 07-10-12 at 14:18.

Love your cakes Elle-Kay, you are so talented

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your input. I'm feeling a little inspired to do something crafty. I know I like doing things with my hands and seeing an end product, I can also be quite creative. I might give cross stitch a try for starters. I've never done it before, I imagine they have little kits to start you off, do you recommend anything for a beginner?

Hi Danny, I'm not much of a reader, but there's always time to try and get into it. I will pop into my local library tomororow and have a browse round, there has to be something that takes my fancy.

Hi Elle-Kay, your cakes look amazing, you're very talented. The cross stitch pattern looks quite complicated, but I'm guessing that all comes with practice.

Hi Paranoidtree, the Goonies one sounds really fun, I used to love that film as a child.

Thanks again everyone for your insiration. I'll let you all know how I get on.

Take care

Rebecca

Cycling is really good for anxieties. Just a gentle ride around the block can reduce stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie0904 View Post
    Love your cakes Elle-Kay, you are so talented
    Thanks Annie My grandma used to decorate cakes too - I think maybe I inherited it from her!

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by speckles69uk View Post
    Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your input. I'm feeling a little inspired to do something crafty. I know I like doing things with my hands and seeing an end product, I can also be quite creative. I might give cross stitch a try for starters. I've never done it before, I imagine they have little kits to start you off, do you recommend anything for a beginner?

Hi Danny, I'm not much of a reader, but there's always time to try and get into it. I will pop into my local library tomororow and have a browse round, there has to be something that takes my fancy.

Hi Elle-Kay, your cakes look amazing, you're very talented. The cross stitch pattern looks quite complicated, but I'm guessing that all comes with practice.

Hi Paranoidtree, the Goonies one sounds really fun, I used to love that film as a child.

Thanks again everyone for your insiration. I'll let you all know how I get on.

Take care

Rebecca

I've been cross-stitching for probably getting on for 20 years, on and off, so am confident with the bigger patterns now, but there are plenty of things that beginners can get to try it out, too I would recommend getting this month's "Cross Stitcher" magazine if you want to start, because it always come with a free kit (including fabric, thread, needle & chart), and has a section in for beginners each month. You should be able to pick it up in WH Smiths, or alternatively some people re-sell the kits on eBay for a couple of £ (though you wouldn't then get the benefit of the beginners advice in the magazine).

Thanks for that Elle-Kay, next time I pop to the shops I'll see if they've got one in, if not I'll find a shop that does.

Kindest regards

Rebecca

check out here: http://www.mouseloft.co.uk/ they do little kits which is how i started.

The goonies one i brought from here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/weelittlestitches
    once i finish it tempted by a few more! Planning on getting a custom pattern made for my brother in laws wedding in November as their gift.

my husband cycles and it's really helped him - he did the London to Brighton this year again.

Good luck with your crafting!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information