Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Anyone get flustered whilst in the supermarket?!

Re: Anyone get flustered whilst in the supermarket?!

Quote Originally Posted by scotford14 View Post
    I have issues with supermarket shopping.

Can anyone remember supermarket sweep hosted by Dale Winton? It reminds me of this because I have to be in and out quickly. If I see a few people waiting at the tills I start to panic. Why? I cant explain it but I agree with others who raise the issue of lighting.

I also agree on the use of quieter shops like Lidl and Aldi (although my local Lidl has around 6 tills and a maximum of two staff serving at any one time, so que's start to form). I usually try to walk by the tills and if there is a line forming, I walk on around the shop again until it quietens down.

James
    I felt like that earlier on when I was less confident. It gets easier the more you can keep yourself in these places and try to relax or distract yourself.

I had the same in queues at that point. I think its a feeling of being trapped as you feel you are unable to move until others do but you have to remember that you are in control as you can wali away at any point and dont care what others may think of you may think they are thinking. Talking to people in queues can help.

Hello "mynameisterry"

Yes you hit the nail on the when you mentioned about speaking to people. This is another technique I try to employ and it definitely helps. Although sometimes i get the feeling of being trapped in the conversation and then my breathing starts going crazy...

James

The checkout is the worst bit for me too. I feel like I have to hurry up because I'm holding everyone up. I feel all this pressure as I'm stuffing the shopping into bags, all the time attempting to keep a normal look on my face. I probably actually look half deranged lol.

The second worst part is when the people from dog's trust accost me yet again, trying to guilt me into sponsoring a dog. I've nothing against dogs, but I really hate the hard sell those guys do.

Quote Originally Posted by scotford14 View Post
    Hello "mynameisterry"

Yes you hit the nail on the when you mentioned about speaking to people. This is another technique I try to employ and it definitely helps. Although sometimes i get the feeling of being trapped in the conversation and then my breathing starts going crazy...

James
    Hi James,

I would get that too but its mostly gone now. It was always in places I would feel the urge to get out of, not in those I didnt. Do you find yourself looking around, thinking something is working up inside you and not really listening?

When I returned to work after the first time I suffered the same with it being a big open plan office. It was hard at first having conversations but more so if I had a group of people around me. It got better over time and I got back to being in meetings, running meets & workshops, presentations, etc.

I think its probably a confidence issue. With GAD, it seems to overlap into many areas such as SAD & HA but perhaps the difference is its easier to address each part seperately.

Terry

---------- Post added at 00:31 ---------- Previous post was at 00:26 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Round in circles View Post
    The checkout is the worst bit for me too. I feel like I have to hurry up because I'm holding everyone up. I feel all this pressure as I'm stuffing the shopping into bags, all the time attempting to keep a normal look on my face. I probably actually look half deranged lol.

The second worst part is when the people from dog's trust accost me yet again, trying to guilt me into sponsoring a dog. I've nothing against dogs, but I really hate the hard sell those guys do.
    Me too. Get tense over getting the damn plastic bags open or keeping up with the assistant, looking at people thinking they are judging you, etc. I think thats quite common to most people let alone the anxious ones.

Its the other side of the coin that most people probably hate, those that act like they've got all day!

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsTerry View Post
    Hi James,

I would get that too but its mostly gone now. It was always in places I would feel the urge to get out of, not in those I didnt. Do you find yourself looking around, thinking something is working up inside you and not really listening?

When I returned to work after the first time I suffered the same with it being a big open plan office. It was hard at first having conversations but more so if I had a group of people around me. It got better over time and I got back to being in meetings, running meets & workshops, presentations, etc.

I think its probably a confidence issue. With GAD, it seems to overlap into many areas such as SAD & HA but perhaps the difference is its easier to address each part seperately.

Terry

---------- Post added at 00:31 ---------- Previous post was at 00:26 ----------

Yes I concentrate more on the breathing than the conversation and then I do not listen to what they are talking about and I cant respond.

I tend to set up a mental relief barrier. Something like "if I can get past the tills I will be ok" or "if I can make it outside it will go away". This causes me to panic more hence waiting in lines drives me crazy.

It sounds like you have done really well to control it and I know it will take time but I will get there too. Thank you for the encouragement.

James

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information