Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone get flustered whilst in the supermarket?!

Re: Anyone get flustered whilst in the supermarket?!

Yep.

I was just in Lidl. This is the worst supermarket because I always get particularly anxious. It feels like you have to move all your stuff to the bagging area pronto and pay at the same time as putting your shopping away! Ahh!

I get worried about forgetting anything as well and I always take ages choosing things - Has to be the yogurt pot without a crack in (I accidentally bought one and now I don't wanna eat it!!)

Going with someone else to the shops makes me anxious as well because I feel like I take too long and I'm so indecisive. I worry they get fed up and think I'm crazy.

I too go to the shops regularly and it doesn't seem to get better but then I don't think I really do anything to stop the thoughts that are making me anxious. Sometimes I am in my own little world and I block out the fact there are other people that could be looking/judging me. But that doesn't always work especially if I drop something because I am so clumsy! :(

I find just focusing on what I need to do helps but I usually get distracted by these silly thoughts.. Though I think it's rational to choose the item in the best condition because of the money.

I rarely make eye contact with staff or even know what to say to them. My boyfriend chats to them and I just think whats the point they probably don't care or want to talk to you but I'm sure it probably makes their day a bit more interesting and makes them feel like a human being rather than a cashier robot.

I think I have almost had panic attacks in shops because there have been too many people around and it's felt like I can't get out.

I wish I could give all of you a great big hug. I love supermarket shopping, a lot of people think that strange, but when I was at my worst it became a nightmare. I used to look at other people and wonder "why me" "why am I feeling like this" I remember once sobbing uncontrollably at the checkout, the poor lady on the tills did not know what to say.
    Exposure in very small doses helped me. I would tell myself that I was going to the supermarket but that I was only going to spend 5 minutes in there and then come out. Each time I would set myself a longer time limit. I found that this really helped, and sometimes I would be there for a much longer period. Also I found that going with a friend really helped. Dont let the anxiety win.

I absolutely hate supermarkets, this it where i get the most panic and anx.

I could shop on line but i dont want the anx to get the better of me

I used to get this when my anxiety first started. I think it was just a coincidence that I had my first ever panic attack in Homebase. Just suddenly came over dizzy, faint & sick out of nowhere. I dreaded going to shops for ages after that & when I did I would feel panicked just remembering that experience. I can still get a bit nervous at times but that's the scar anxiety has left. xx

It can be a nasty vicious circle!

I still go to the shops but I get wary of going really red and panic setting in, I need to try and ignore it ha xx

Quote Originally Posted by MissLady83 View Post
    This sounds very strange and I can't understand it myself but I get really nervous and flustered when I'm in the supermarket, even more so when I'm at the check out and eyes are in me... Is it just me??? Strange thing is this anxiety
    So many times that I couldn't count I have walked out without getting served a few times but mostly I put up with it.

Oh defiantly me. Ive had a few experience in the supermarket, asda mainly the lighting is bright i once had eye floaters and couldn't see!! so i dont go there very often i prefer online shopping less stressful!

I like on line shopping best, i always sem to miss something out though.
    Some supermarkets are not bad, but asda is a no no for me .
    The atomsphere is terrible and so claustrophobic
    Last edited by Magic; 13-04-13 at 15:19. Reason: written something twice

I hate food shopping! I can't do it anymore. I used to go on my own and found the whole process extremely stressful, especially the check-out bit and packing bags. My hands would be shaking and I'd be trying to do it as quickly as possible as thought people were thinking "Hurry up!" I wouldn't be calm again until I got home and I'd have to sit down and calm myself down before I could put the stuff away. But now, I make sure my hubby comes with me and he drives. It's amazing how much easier it is with someone else taking charge! So now I only go if he's there or I do it online! I'm not putting myself through that hell every week when I don't need to

---------- Post added at 16:08 ---------- Previous post was at 15:57 ----------

That reminds me my OCD really kicks in with shopping. I can never pick something out in the front row of a shelf - it has to be at least the second one back. I'm paranoid people have tampered with things and as crazy as this sounds, poisoned them! For instance, I bought a couple of cartons of fruit juice the other day. I opened one and it didn't have a ring pull or a foil seal and it didn't even click when I opened it. Needless to say, it went straight in the bin! I've done this with food before when I've noticed the packaging has been slightly ripped, I'll throw it away. It's ridiculous, but if I ate it I'd be worrying for the next 24 hours if I was going to get ill and die!

Hmm it feels quite good to get that off my chest!

Yes asda is a funny one for me too, the lighting makes me feel dizzy it's too bright, it's the worry of people seeing me flustered and a big red face, ha!

Joanna it must be even more stressful for you, my younger sister has OCD and it gets her very frustrated but she also has learning disabilities so she can't express herself about it and talk it through which must drive her mad!! I'd love to know what's going on in her head so I could help her xx

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information