Thread: weird ocd?? lip obsession? please read!

weird ocd?? lip obsession? please read!

hello, so i have been having this problem for a few months you could say. it all started a year or so ago where i was consciously aware of my breathing. it was an obsession where i would monitor every breath i took and felt like i was unable to break free from the thought. i was afraid that it would stay with me forever. then eventually i got over this obsession, but another obsession took over right after it. i was now thinking about my eyes blinking. it was so annoying and the thought just wouldn't get about of my head and i wasn't sure how to express the way i felt to someone i cared about. it was such a bizarre thing and it felt strange that people don't have this issue like i do, since it is an automatic process that we don't control......

after overcoming this issue with my blinking awareness and breathing awareness, i then started worrying about something else.... my lips. it was the weirdest thing. i guess the thought just popped up in my head and i thought "what if i never forget this thought".. basically i think about how my lips/mouth feels when i speak. especially when i say words with "p" or "b" or even "m" in them since my lips are touching and i think about every feeling and movement they make when i talk. i can't seem to speak fluidly anymore it takes soo much effort to pronounce everything. i'm so self conscious about it. it makes speaking so unbearable since i can't seem to speak without thinking about this. my thoughts are often repressed and i say things in my head rather than out loud because of this obsession. i forgot how to just live in the moment and not worry about what i will say next in a conversation.. i tend to stay away from people more often and have become pretty antisocial. which i hate. i've become a bit sad and depressed as a result from this isolation. i'm not sure how to get out of this. it's all because of this obsessive thought and control of my lips when i talk, that i can't seem to get out of my head.

i have been seeing a therapist but couldn't get myself to tell her this weird habit that i have. we seemed to go around the topic because i was afraid she wouldn't be able to help me. i will be seeing someone new soon and will hopefully gain the courage to tell her about it. i just want to know if anyone has had issues like this or the same issue. and how you overcame it? or any advice or insight on this ocd-like thinking.. i'm not sure how else to describe how i feel. i think it's called sensorimotor ocd. whatever it is, i hate it so much :( i hope you understood what i meant in this post. thank you so much for whomever is reading this and please respond. take care.

Re: weird ocd?? lip obsession? please read!

I think you are struggling to speak fluently because you are interferring with the automatic/effortless way of talking by being overly aware of the process. So much of what we do is run by the subconscious, and being aware of something with your conscious controlling mind just interferes with that natural process. You need to just speak and forget any imagined consequences that the ocd is spelling out for you. I know its hard and its fine me just saying that but its the truth.

I think you should mention it to your therapist, new or old, they wont judge you and even if they cant help directly, it will help to talk about it

Thread Information