Thread: New to Social Anxiety – Dr Suggested CBT and Amitriptyline.

New to Social Anxiety – Dr Suggested CBT and Amitriptyline.

I would like some advice from people who have or are currently taking Amitriptyline for anxiety.

I have been to see my doctor regarding my query over taking this medication but I feel I left with my answer not getting 100% answered.

I have been taking a low dose of amitriptyline (20mg or 30mg) for several years in the evening to help with anxiety headaches.

My anxieties have been worst over the past six months regarding being in confined spaces with colleagues (cars or meeting rooms).

It all started last year when I was on a training course and during the course, I started to have a panic attack, while in the training room
    and unfortunately this panic attack led to me having to leave the room and being sick, which has never happened before.

Since that episode, this anxiety has made me starting to avoid meetings and training courses regarding work, so I decided to come clean
    And tell my project manager who was fantastic and he said that he used to suffer with anxiety and told me to try and not worry.

I decided to see my doctor for and advice with this social anxiety problem, which he decided to refer me for some CBT and told me that
    I can higher my amitriptyline because this can be used to help with anxiety.

Looking at the information regarding amitriptyline, all references refer to depression around 75mg and it can help pain relief.

The doctor said I can build my dose up and take them at night or break them up in the day but they could make you tired.

I do not know which option would be best to help with this social anxiety and I don’t even know if amitriptyline will help and if
    I built my dose up and took them in the evening, would it help me relax the next day or if I took them three times a day, would
    that help me better?

Re: New to Social Anxiety – Dr Suggested CBT and Amitriptyline.

It is interesting cos a lot of people on here are on this drug but my GP told me they don't prescribe it for anxiety disorders anymore and got out some book and read out what it said.

It is used for pain relief more now apparently.

Maybe this isn't the most appropriate medication for you to be on. I am not sure.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I must admit, it sure is confusing why my doctor has told me to stay on amitriptyline but to increase the dose rather than try something else, which is specifically anxiety related.

He did say that around 75mg would be needed to help with the anxiety/depression but that does appear to be a high dose.

Quote Originally Posted by reddevil View Post
    I must admit, it sure is confusing why my doctor has told me to stay on amitriptyline but to increase the dose rather than try something else, which is specifically anxiety related.

He did say that around 75mg would be needed to help with the anxiety/depression but that does appear to be a high dose.
    You sent me a few PM's about this.
    I was prescribed Amitriptyline because I was having intrusive thought's and severe agitation - anxiety, it has helped me greatly. I have tried a lot of medication's though and had severe reaction's to them.

I would increase the dose and see how you go, if you are not satisfied go back to your GP.

BobbyDog

Thread Information