Thread: 5 days constipation :( I can't be the only one (ibs sufferer) apparently ... :(

5 days constipation :( I can't be the only one (ibs sufferer) apparently ... :(

Hey everyone
    Well I haven't been on nmp for months... Completely mirtazapine/diazepam free for 7 months now I kicked that health anxiety in the butt!!! Or so it seemed....
    Since I had my little boy 4 years ago I've been plagued on & off with ibs ( according to our wonderful helpful doctors) mostly just stomach craps and pooing for England... And I haven't had a flare up for months... Clockwork bowels everyday... But then sat I had terrible diorreah ... Then since mon no poo... Not a single thing !!!
    I've had the odd tummy ache and off I went to the doctors in panic health anxiety was telling me I had cancer of the stomach colon just everywhere! I'm only 27... She gave me sachets of movicol and still no bowel movement... I am honestly going out of my mind... I've googled and googled :( I know I know Dr Google is a bad person.. And well decided now I've got a bowel full of poisonous toxins that will poison my tummy and I'm going to drop dead soon of a poisonous monster in my bowel :(
    I'm going to buy the most outrageous amount of prunes blueberries laxatives and well everything tomo... I can't stand the thought of having poo in me for this long :( I go every morning like clockwork normally ..
    Honestly I'd be so grateful if anyone has had or are suffering from this...

I must admit... I haven't been on here because my severe health anxiety has been so brilliant and I've kept in touch with my closest nmp buddies on fb but I have to say... It's a comfort being back... I've missed this place... I don't know what I would have done with out it for the 2 years of my absolute anxiety hell....
    All thanks to you Nicola

Carls xxxx

Re: 5 days constipation :( I can't be the only one (ibs sufferer) apparently ... :(

Hi there,

I am no expert on this but thought I would try to post a reply and see if it helps in any way. Have you only had the IBS since you had your little boy? - I don't know if there could be any connection there. I would really advice against laxatives as they can become addictive (I was on 20 a day for years) - prunes are meant to be good (if you can stand them) or high fibre stuff to get the bowels moving.
    Could the constipation be anxiety/stress related? - Slightly off topic but my period was 5 days late and I am usually very regular however I have been stressed a lot recently and stress affects the body in many ways.

Have you ever heard of Lactulose? It is a liquid (not v tasty) but is a lot gentler than laxatives and it worked for me when I took some a couple of years ago - I believe you can buy it without prescription - and it is often used in hospitals for patients with constipation as far as i know.

I get constipation every month - this past month I was constipated for about 6 days and felt unbelievably bloated - and yes, googling isnt the best idea as I discovered when i convinced myself I was dying of some chronic illness. For me, the constipation I get is always a week or so before my period is due so am wondering if this might be what is causing it, or if you arent eating enough fibre.

Try not to worry - I know it is uncomfortable when you have poop in there and want rid of it but it will sort itself out - if you can get hold of some lactulose I highly recommend it - not only does it work but (sorry to be graphic) - it makes passiing poo smoother - if you havent been for 5 days it can be painful.

I dont know much about IBS so what I have typed may be completely useless but I hope the situation sorts itself out because I know how uncomfotable it is when you feel full of poop!

Re: 5 days constipation :( I can't be the only one (ibs sufferer) apparently ... :(

Carly Lou
    I get that all the time I never get a right balance with my bowels.
    I have constant diarrhoea for a week then the next week Im constipated. The annoying thing about it is that if I have urgency diarrhoea I take one capsule of immodium to stop it then I dont poo for about five days or more and if Im constipated I take fibre drinks and/or lactulose and it turns to alot of diarrhoea, i feel like I cant win.

I know how you feel hun its totally sucks and it can be worrying. Another think you can try cant guarantee it will work though is have a look at the dairy isle at the supermarket the place where yoghurt is kept well they should stock some probiotic drinks, get some of those and see if they make a difference. In New Zealand they call it yakult and there are other brands too.

Anyway Im sorry you are going through this I know how you feel and I hope you are able to empty your bowels soon.

hey guys, thank you so much for your reply...
    ive now have a fridge full of prune juice, natrual yogurt, everything and anything to help me get some movement in my bowels... i actually did have a very small bowel movement this morning, not enough for me to think its a success but.... atleast it was something...
    ive drank prune juice and now have a bloated tummy and cramping.... but hopefully this means things will finally happen....
    lets hope ive also got some senekot just incase....
    xxxx

My daughter has IBS and it started at Uni. there is no real cure but the best advice is to see a dietican and it will mean a complete change of diet. Good luck.It has helped her to some extent.

All the best aye. I also recommend Lactulose syrup that is pretty good stuff too.

Thread Information