Thread: Is this a side affect or unrelated??.......

Is this a side affect or unrelated??.......

Hi everyone,

I will try to make this post short and to the point. I started citalopram for the first time on Thursday morning, 2 hours after I was violently sick and ill all day. This continued yesterday and im still feeling very naseous today.

Im also on propranolol, 40mg 3 x per day but I started that about a week ago and had no issues with that at all.

Is the sickness due to the citalopram (which ive stopped as theres no way I could continue feeling like that) or unrelated??

Any advice would be most welcome.

Aaron

Re: Is this a side affect or unrelated??.......

I doubt propronol would make you sick. It might be just a bug but I would check with your doctor .If you stopped taking the tablets and the sickness has stopped it might be related.Give yourself piece of mind and phone the doctor.hope that helps.

have just been reading thru losts of posts on cit ,, loads have said it made them sick ,,, go to search type in side effects of citralopram ,, loads will agree with u xx

Hi Aaron, I remember discussing this with you on another thread. I've just checked one of the patient information leaflets I've got, and it says in the side effects section that vomiting is a common side-effect. (By common they mean greater than 1 in 100 patients suffer this side effect). So I would say your sickness was related to the citalopram.
    In addition, nausea is "very common" (greater than 1 in 10 patients).

Have you seen your doctor to decide the way forward, seeing as this hasn't worked out for you? I know you wanted to get referred for CBT. You could try asking for a different medication if you want, while you're waiting for CBT.

Hi, i was given Cit a few months ago, and after takening one tablet i was sick half a hour after. I didnt take anymore.
    A few weeks later another gp give me them again, and the same happened, my body just didnt agree with them.

Im now on Venlafazine and had only minor start up SE's.
    I would go back to your doctor and try something else.
    Gav.

Thanks guys,

I did wonder about it being a bug as this is the third day of feeling sick when I took the citalopram on Thursday morning. Or maybe it just didnt agree with me at all and has taken a few days to get out my system?

If im still feeling unwell Monday then I will contact the Doctor as Ricardo suggested.

Sparkle - I had a call from my local "Time to Talk" Friday whos recommended treatment was CBT but the waiting list in my area is pretty long so im thinking of going private.

Ironically whilst being sick and feeling unwell my anxiety has improved. Strange

x

Yes it takes a few days to get out of your system as it has a half-life of 36 hours.

To calculate half-life I think it will be something like this:
    after 36 hours: 5mg is still in your system
    after 72 hours: 2.5mg
    after 108 hours: 1.25mg
    ...and so on.

(Those figures assume your doctor started you on 10mg; if they started you on 20mg then obviously you'll need to double all the figures.)

I hope you will be better soon.

Thanks Sparkle, I didnt know it had such a long half life!

Im sure I will be fine tomorrow fingers crossed

---------- Post added at 22:36 ---------- Previous post was at 22:35 ----------

Oh BTW it was 20mg I started on if that makes a difference

Thread Information