Thread: Amitriptyline for migraine

Amitriptyline for migraine

I've been prescribed Amitriptyline for migraine. Just 10mgs as a preventative measure.
    Anyone have an experiences with these meds?
    Hate taking meds and worry that they could be damgerous?

Any advice would be good thanks

Re: Amitriptyline for migraine

That's a very low dose of amitriptyline and I ave seen it work well for migraines.

I'm just worried it will damage my heart or liver. Would that only happen in higher doses?
    Thank you for your replyx

Do you have an existing heart or liver problem? If not then the medication should do no damage to you. All medication has side effects but if we read all of them we would never take anything. Even if one person has an adverse reaction to a drug it has to be reported as a side effect.

The only exception to this would be if an overdose was taken then obviously that would damage your vital organs.

If your gp didn't think it was safe for you to take he wouldn't have prescribed it. I was prescribed this 2 weeks ago, I had no adverse reactions, only stopped taking it as it didn't help my anxiety.
    I hope this helps

Oh, so you have taken this drug? How did it not help your anxiety? I am hoping it will help mine as am on an antidepressant aswell so combined I was hoping to get extra benefits. Do you get any benefit from the drug? I don't have heart or liver problems. I do get alot of palpitations that are anxiety related apparently but I worry they are serious although I have had tests done and they were fine. I have slightly high bilirubin levels in liver but nothing to worry about either apparently.

It helped me sleep, but I needed rapid anxiety relief and I wasn't on any other antidepressant. It helps if taken over a period of time for depression and anxiety. I needed something that was going to help me straight away like diazepam which I had to take in the end. I have a lot of palpitations, I just put it down to anxiety, which probably contributed, but my gp put it down to the amount of diet coke I was drinking.

Thread Information