Thread: BLACK POO?

BLACK POO?

I increased my Citalopram dose from 20 to 40mcg two months ago, and have been horribly constipated ever since then.

Yesterday I did go to the loo, and my poo was so dark I thought it was black. TMI - but I compared it something black and then it looked brown, but it still seemed very dark indeed. I have eaten watercress soup and also black olives, and aubergines over the last few days. Could this has effected the colour? As I've had constipation issues all my life, really, but when I do start to get health anxiety (seems to be escalating right now as we've got some big problems to deal with), I start to panic and dwell on cancer.

Should I worry that my poo was so dark? Would I definitely, definitely know if it really WAS black?

Just need some reassurance. Thank you so much.

Re: BLACK POO?

hi sometimes a change in diet or medication can change the colour of it ,just keep a check when you go again ,im sure you will be okay ,but if your still worried pop and see your gp for some reasurance xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The black poo which you'd need to see a doctor about is like tar, it wouldn't be anything like a normal dark poo, you would definitely know. Poo changes all the time, mine was yellow once (which was terrifying) but soon went back to a "normal" colour again.

It can be quite dark when you have been constipated.

Can also be dark when you take iron supplements.

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

Thank you all for your messages, concern and advice. TMI - again, but quick update on my situation. Still constipated, but yesterday, went back to eating loads of seeds and nuts, and drinking lots of water. As I know I always get constipated when stressed (big time), and I've been on a higher dose of citalopram, plus been a bit naughty and forgotten to take my lexothyroxine every day, I think its going to take a while to get back into a routine.

However, this morning I used a glycerine suppository. It worked. I checked (you know what), and while the first time bit was very hard and very dark brown, the rest of it was a completely normal colour. I think I'm OK now?

Like so many of you, I know I just have to relax and stop dwelling/obsessing about things, but it's so hard. isnt it?

Thank you so much again and have a lovely weekend.

It is hard not to worry, but it does sound like it was dark because you were constipated. You have a lovely weekend too.

Thread Information