Thread: Turned down a gastroscopy

Turned down a gastroscopy

Today I was suppose to have a gastroscopy but got in there and had throat spray and freaked out to the point that I didnt want to have it. So I didnt end up getting it done.

I am soooo upset by doing this as I dont know what to do about it. I still have pelvic pains which is due to bowels. my reflux and pain hasnt been as bad lately but it still comes at times and I have no idea what triggers it.

I just dont know what to do about it Im in tears and I dont know what to do. I wish I was just under general anaesthetic as it makes it all so much easier but they did the throat spray and was gonna do the camera before sedating me. Is there anything else I can do to get checked out to make sure Im alright inside?

I just cant deal with things that make me gag which put me off going through it.

Re: Turned down a gastroscopy

You could ask to be sedated first and try having the gastroscopy again. An alternative is a barium swallow/meal but I don't think it shows things in as much detail

when i had an endoscopy i also freaked when they did the throat spray as it felt like i couldn't swallow. at that point they then sedated me, it wasn't a general anaesthetic i don't think though but allowed them to do what they needed - could this be an option?

Hello
    yeah I was going to be sedated and they had put the pin into my arm and got ready for it all and I ready to feel calm and sleepy but I got the throat spray and then freaked out my anxiety was so high that I couldnt do it. They didnt sedate me after that and went through with it they decided to not go ahead because I said I didnt want it anymore.

When I had my laparoscopy for endometriosis I was nervous then too but then all I remembered was waking up and it was all over and done with.

I might consider giving it another go and hope they can sedate me earlier so I dont really know what is going on.

I was considering the other x ray test but I need to talk to my doctor about it.

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

When I had the throat spray I gagged and couldnt swollow either I felt like I was suffocating and that is why I couldnt do it.

Thread Information