Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Added someone from work on facebook and they haven't accepted...

Added someone from work on facebook and they haven't accepted...

So I've started a new job and I was on facebook the other night and someone I work with came up at the side.
    I added because I thought I may as well, because we are similar ages and thought we could be mates outside of work maybe too.
    Anyway fast forward a few days and they haven't accepted me. I'm starting to panic now as I hate people disliking me or feeling I have done something wrong.
    I really wish I had added this person now :(

- Emily Brontė

"No matter how irrational I may sound, it's real to me"

Re: Added someone from work on facebook and they haven't accepted...

I know exactly how you feel. If I add someone on Facebook and they ignore my friend request, or if an existing friend deletes me, it makes me feel insecure. In my old job, I added lots of people on Facebook and most of them accepted. There were a few people who ignored my request, but I try to rationalise it by thinking that they probably don't want to be friends with people from work. Some people like to keep their Facebook profile only for people they know outside of work, possibly because they don't want to mix work and pleasure. For example, if someone is often posting statuses saying they hate their job, they wouldn't want their colleagues to see it.

If you are very new to the job, the person probably won't know very well yet. It may take them a few weeks before they feel they know you well enough to be Facebook friends. I'd say try not to take it personally, even though it's very difficult. This sort of thing used to worry me quite a bit, but nowadays I try not take it so personally.

Oh God, that happened to me not so long ago. I had a huge crush on a guy at my new job, so I added half the folk from work, including him, to my friends list. I didn't really care about having the rest of them there, I just wanted him to add me. And he was the only one who didn't accept my friend's request! It was very odd, I had a feeling he liked me too, as he was always staring at me (maybe in horror ) and he'd added lots of work people himself so it wasn't as if he wasn't into adding work folk. I spent AGES obsessing over it, I even retracted my request and sent him another one, which was also ignored. He's now seeing one of the other girls at work and I no longer fancy him.

I can laugh about it now, but sometimes I wonder why he didn't accept me.

Anyway, try not to worry about it

I have lots of friends who just like to keep work separate from social life; mainly so they can have a moan or even a relationship without their colleagures knowing all the details, so don't take it personally. x

Remember as well it could just be they don't use Facebook very often

Facebook tends to bring out the worst in people Ive found. Someone from highschool added me which made me happy. I sent them a message trying to catch up and never heard back from them. I found that infuriating and took them off my list after awhile. Now I only keep people on it who i do see/talk to regularly.

The thing is, they already have some people from work on there so obviously it isn't because of keeping work and home life separate.

I'm just paranoid that it will be awkward when we go back to work next week between us! Do I just act normal or what?!

- Emily Brontė

Just act normal, it is probably just because you are new and once they get to know you they may add you. Try not to take it personally. xx

I just feel like a complete idiot to be honest and I hate an awkward atmosphere :S I had that in my last job and I don't particularly want it again

- Emily Brontė

I know exactly what you mean because I always take things personally but really we shouldn't. They may not even have noticed the friend request yet. I am not sure if I would accept a request either from someone I hardly knew and would probably leave it there a few weeks until I got to know the person better. Try not to let it get you down and don't let it upset you. That's the worst thing with anxiety, we let the littlest things upset us. Just try to forget about it and just go to work as normal, I am sure you will feel better about it later. xx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information