Thread: Scared making plans

Scared making plans

I have been battling anxiety for many years and am just about coping with it, apart from what I think is social phobia. I am absolutely petrified to make arrangements to go out with friends. I thoroughly enjoy my friends company and when I have been able to manage to go I have a great time so I just don;t understand what is happening. I am feeling so isolated now because of this.

As soon as someone phones me to suggest an evening out or ask me to come round for a coffee, I make myself so ill. I am terrified of letting people down as I continually have to call off as I am unwell.

Is this social phobia?

Re: Scared making plans

I have Social Phobia and have lost all my friends with not keeping in touch. Your symptoms are similar to mine. Perhaps it would be a good idea to talk to your GP about it, they may be able to help you, medication, CBT.

BobbyDog

I'm really scared that I'm just going to loose them all. I'm not good a making plans .

I do this! If i make plans it just plays on my mind until i decide i cant go. Even if its something i want to do, the mind goes into overdrive. You are not alone in this!

This sounds familar and is exactly what I do..

I used to avoid all social events when i was younger...i now try and force myself into them but yes sometimes it doesn't work. At the moment i am beating myself up when i can't do certain social things and it's playing on my mind a lot. I have been attending a mindfulness course which helps to a certain extent but recently i have been finding i am avoiding the cds...tonight aint a good night either. In one of those moods where i wish i was "normal" if that exists! I remember my psychologist said to me when i was at uni "normally people with social anxiety have had a bad childhood!" this could be possible...if i ever have kids i will make sure this never happens to them, as in develop social anxiety. It's the worst thing ever in my eyes.

yes i get so scared i dont even make plans at the weekend i always hate when its the weekend cos i know i wont be doing nothing just do what i always do tv then on computer then watch more tv again i can relate my anxiety has gotten really bad i even get panic just being around a few people and if i go in to a shop i just feel panic thats why now i am house bound i only just left the house three times in october since then i havent left the house since

I know this feeling & its makes me feel a failure when I decline an offer to go out. I will only go to places where I know I have an escape route or somewhere to sit down etc. Cant go anywhere where I may have to stand up for ages :( !!!
    My closest friend knows how i feel about going out & is a great help, do you have a friend who you could confide in??

Thread Information