Thread: Mirtazapine increase from 15mg to 30mg

Mirtazapine increase from 15mg to 30mg

Hi has anybody had any experience with Mirtazapine for depression. How did you feel when you increased from 15mg to 30mg did this help your depression ? I have been taking 15mg for 2 weeks and I feel better in that I can sleep etc but Im not sure if it has helped my general mood yet ? I have read that the antidepressant affects are felt more once you increase to 30mg ? I would like to hear some success stories. No horror stories please. Thanks for your time x

Re: Mirtazapine increase from 15mg to 30mg

Hi Cocomademoiselle, I love the smell of that perfume!
    You need to give it more time, I would say 6-8 weeks before you will see a noticeable change in mood. I take 45mg, as I increased the dose my anxiety/depression did reduce in severity eventually.

BobbyDog

Hi there I have been on 45mg mirtazapine for quite some time now about four and a half years! I take it with lithium 1,000mg at night. This cocktail keeps me well. You will notice a difference from 30mg to 45mg. It might be a gradual 'lift' in your mood. Sleep might be slightly worse or remain the same. I'm glad that I went up to 45mg but it is an easier transisition than from the lower doses which are more sedating. Best of luck with it. EJ
    Last edited by ElizabethJane; 01-11-12 at 16:13.

Thanks Bobydog I love that perfume too its the best 6-8 weeks ok, when I had Cipralex i in the past, the one that stopped working after 5 years, initially I remember Cipralex working in about 1 week to 2 weeks. Ive been on 15mg for 2 weeks I feel something but not much better. Hopefully with 30mg I will get that lift. I know its gradual thing for past experience.

Thanks EJ. Do you find Mirtazapine one of the best you have tried. The GP said it was good for lifting people out of a "black hole". We discussesd Mirtazapine or Venlafaxine and went for the Mirt.

The only problem Im having at the moment side effect wise is dry mouth which is going, and dry eyes that is not going :( Ive got eye drops "artificial tears" which you can buy over the counter.

Hi Coco yes mirtazapine is one of the better anti ds for me. I was on a large dose of dothiepin before the mirt and was weaned off that by my current psychiatrist. Prior to that I was taking duloxetine(bad side effects on that and seroxat) I have suffered from depression for a very long time and always believed that it would not come back but unfortunately it always does. I am enjoying the longest period of being well at then moment. Mirtazapine does take a while to work however but I can take it without the grogginess of other anti d's. Once I have take my meds at night my legs quickly feel heavy so I have to head off to bed. EJ.

I started off on 15mg on Mirtazapine to introduce it to my system with the plan of going up to 30mg after a month which I did. I would find I got really sleepy taking 15mg but that seemed ease off a bit when I went up to 30mg. I didn't really have any negative side effects when I was on either dose, aside the crazy dreams when I was on 15mg which I wouldn't say were a negative thing, more just really vivid and interesting. I've been on 30mg for nearly 9 months now and my mood and anxiety has been on the whole a lot better. It's hard to judge thinking back, but I would say after a couple of months of Mirtazapine I felt the positive effects. Having been through the A to Z of AD's in the past, Mirtazapine for me have not only been the most effective by far, but also the one with the least side effects. They have definitely changed my life for the better, so I would say in another 2 to 4 weeks you should start to feel the benefits. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Hi Coco

I too have benefited enormously from mirtazipine and having suffered on and off for some years and tried different meds this one has been the best. Not much in the way of side effects really apart from the weight gain which can be controlled and lost eventually.

Give it time and you too should feel the benefits.

Good luck.
    Jo.x

Hi Coco, I too am taking Mirtazapine; 15mg for 2 weeks and then increased to 30mg which I have been taking for another 2 weeks. I think it is still too early for me to feel the full benefit (that's what I am telling myself) however I am feeling a little better, especially if I compare myself to 4 weeks ago when I was really bad...I had begun taking venlaflaxine after citalopram had stopped working for me too, it was an awful experience which I had to stick with for nearly 6 weeks. Anyway I am hopeful about Mirtazapine, I am having CBT too and trying to stay positive. Mornings are still a struggle, hopefully this will improve. I can definately say my anxiety is improved so given a bit more time my mood will lift more too. This depression has been very difficult for me as I never thought I would succumb again, however I lost both my younger sister and Dad suddenly within a few months this year and it hit me like a brick wall after initially thinking I was coping. I have never had grief before and you know that nothing can change the situation when you come through, you just have to learn to live with it.
    Hope this helps, if you need to know anything, just ask. Hope you are doing well xx

hi EJ can i ask how long before you could drive again ,if you drive

Hi Bruce you can continue to drive but only if you do not feel drowsy or groggy. I have been on my meds a long time so I know what my safe limits are. EJ

Thread Information