Thread: Posture and anxiety

Posture and anxiety

I get a lot of aches and pains especially in my neck back and shoulder with my anxiety and realised that my posture is very bad. Its the typical hunched over back shoulders slumped forward type posture we tend to fall into. I read an article which says bad posture does not promote proper breathing as your heart and lungs are more restricted also muscle tension can build up due to the unnatural position we put ourselves into. I'm going to be more aware of sitting up straight, shoulders back and breathing from my belly as even if it makes me feel slightly better its worth it. Might look into seeing a chiropractor but have not really given it much thought. Has anyone had experience of seeing a professional like this to correct years of sitting or standing wrong? I may try yoga also
    Last edited by simms; 01-11-12 at 15:09.

Re: Posture and anxiety

I get alot of pain in my neck back and shoulders and I sit forward with my shoulders curved forward because I suffer alot of tightness in my chest my posture isnt good I think your right about it restricting breathing thanks for that It will make me more aware xxxxxxxxxxxx

I have APPALLING posture so this is kind of interesting. Will be more mindful. Just started doing yoga recently so will keep that up and see if it improves! x

I completely agree with the article you read.
    My posture is pretty good thankfully, when I was small I was made to stand tall and got a tap on the shoulders if I did not do so.
    But, when I am anxious my physical reaction is to draw my shoulders forward and cross my arms in front of me, when I notice myself doing this I make a conscious effort to lift, drop and relax my shoulders, this reduces the physical anxiety symptoms.

BobbyDog

i didnt know about posture/anxiety etc etc
    i think i might try that next time i meet u all on the leeds meet .
    as yeh guilty as for crossing arms leaning forward etc

Quote Originally Posted by simms View Post
    I get a lot of aches and pains especially in my neck back and shoulder with my anxiety and realised that my posture is very bad. Its the typical hunched over back shoulders slumped forward type posture we tend to fall into. I read an article which says bad posture does not promote proper breathing as your heart and lungs are more restricted also muscle tension can build up due to the unnatural position we put ourselves into. I'm going to be more aware of sitting up straight, shoulders back and breathing from my belly as even if it makes me feel slightly better its worth it. Might look into seeing a chiropractor but have not really given it much thought. Has anyone had experience of seeing a professional like this to correct years of sitting or standing wrong? I may try yoga also

hi simms ive suffer with really bad posture and anxiety ive had this for around 7 years now ive tried so many therapies but not many of them work i paid to see a chiropractor and yes it did work for a couple weeks but then i went bkwards instead of going forward due to the anxiety i now wear a postural correction belt and a correction neck brace which helps greatly i dont know about you but the feelings you get is like you want to lean all the time and think your gonna fall over all the time head fuzzy so to get rid of those you retreat bk to the bad posture and they go hope this helps and gl with al

Thread Information