Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WORRIED I"VE GOT OVARIAN CANCER

WORRIED I"VE GOT OVARIAN CANCER

hi all,

I am a health anxiety sufferer,

i'm really worried i have ovarian cancer, I do suffer with really bad ovualtion pains, and lately I've been getting the occasional odd twinge if cough. I've done the worst thing possible and looked on google and have now convinced myself I've got it.

It mentions abdominal bloating, gas, abnormal periods, and that its a silent killer.

While i was ovulating my stomach really does bloat up and I know its disgusting but I have gas quite bad too at the mo. I believe stress can contribute to irregular periods, mine aren't that irregular, but last month i hardly had anything it was really light. I have only in the last few months stopped taking oral pill. I don't bleed any other times of the month, other than period.

I'm just so worried, can anyone help?!?

I also got aches in my back on the right side, which I think is cancer too, secondary, i have been to doctors about and and he says its muscular, but I'm not convinced.

PLEASE HELP!

I understand where you are coming from, I think we all have similar fears especially about the "silent" cancers.

Ovulation pains are really normal though, I get them mildly and I have a few friends who get them quite severely. One of my friends has passed out before when ovulating!

I was advised a long time ago that it takes up to a year to get the pill out of your system and your periods completely back to normal.

Have you spoken to your GP about your concerns? There is a simple blood test that we do where I work (I work in a private hospital in the health screen department) which is a screen for ovarian cancer called CA125. We also offer pelvic ultrasound for people concerned about ovarian cancers. Maybe you could ask your GP to refer you for one or both of these tests, and put your mind at rest.

But I would say that your symptoms sound completely normal to me. If only Google would come up with a website that says "Completely normal" instead of "cancer" every time.

Best wishes,
    Caroline

thanks for your reply caroline, it really helps! - I know I should go to the doctors but just get scared as soon as blood tests and scans may be mentioned!

I've always suffered with the ovulation pains, it lasts for a day then aches mildly for the next day, since school I have always suffered with it, thats why when I went on the pill the pains completely stopped which was lovely, I came off pill coz i thought that was what was causing my anxiety to get so bad! so now being off it for about 3 months the pains are all coming back now - i'm due on now and got few cramps which I never used to get before - is this normal to get cramps a day or two before a period?

L
    x

Hi Laura,

I too diagnosed myself with ovarian cancer a while ago. But after a coulpe of weeks another symptom kicked in and I then had to diagnose another cancer. It's a vicious circle with health anxiety and we always seem to have no trouble diagnosing ourselves but I always say to myself if I dealt with the anxiety the way I diagnose I'd be a far happier person.

Take Care

Mandy

xx

hi i too have had the worry of ovarian cancer, some days cervical, as i couldnt make my mind up !!...my problems started since stopping the pill last august(i was beginnining to start with depression so i came off the pill as i thought it wasnt helping me)..soon after i started with panic attacks then the health anxiety kicked in big time..as my periods were regular after stopping pill , but started getting bleeding after ovulation...this has carried on and is still happening now...so i have worried myself to death, as i have crampy achey pains, ovulation onwards, and at the minute im half way through my cycle and full of wind , i feel like i could burp all day! went to see a gynacologist who thinks i have a hormonal imbalance, which is causing all the symptoms, inc the aches and pains!...and i have frequent low back ache!
    I think your body needs time to adjust to stopping the pill, and ovulation pains are common, and i seem to get cramps before my period , but not durin, how odd!!!
    take care ...you have anxiety , thats all !

Hi I know somebody who actually died through having ovarian cancer, there are no symtoms untill it has progressed so far that it is to late. It is very unlikely that you have ovarian cancer, you really would know about it. If you need your mind putting at rest, then you could ask your dr for an ovary screening, but I'm sure it's just good old health anxiety rearing it's ugly head.

Take care,

Polly

thanks all, for your answers, it really does help! im answer to wenwillthisend, I too have no pain on my actual period just mid cycle while ovulating and now a few days leading up to period, my anxiety/panic seems to get worse while I'm ovulating then clears as i get closer to my period! all very weird!

L
    x

Hi L - are you sure you are not me?? I read your post and thought I'd written it and forgotten!!!

I keep diagnosing myself with ovarian cancer, in fact told the GP last Monday I was convinced I had it! Stomach pains on ovulation, lower back pain, heartburn etc etc. I read an article in a magazine and then as if by magic, I had ALL the symptoms.

As per someone else's reply, my GP told me that it IS a silent killer - ie when you get symptoms it has come to a head and that happens quickly. i have been like this for 18 months and I'm still here!

I wouldn't bother with the tests, unless it will make you feel better. I had a pelvic ultrasound in March and it was fine. I then had a routine but very painful smear and so told myself it was cervical cancer - but that was normal too. I've since moved on to bowel cancer or "perhaps they missed something and I do have ovarian cancer". So tests aren't necessarily the answer, as they will only temporarily reassure. We need to learn how to reassure ourselves - I'm still trying to find out how, so if you have any hints and tips please let me know!

My acupuncturist told me that anxiety and hormones are inextricably linked, as is IBS. And that it is possible to have PMS/PMT from ovulation (hence the tummy ache and back ache) until your period starts.

Its all quite normal and just one of the "symptoms" of anxiety.

Take care

SB x

what i didn't mention was that I has an abnormal smear last april it was a pretty high count, anyway I've had the cells removed (which were not cancer), and I have had two perfectly normal smears since. I am also having a smear a year for the next 8 years. I don't know I'm just worried it might have spread. I wouldn't normally worry, and like I say I've always had ovulation pains since a teenager, but since coming off the pill (which seemed to make the anxiety come in the first place) the ovualation pains get worse! Its so sore there i can hardly stand straight!

I hope it is normal!

L
    x

Oooh you're just like me!!!

If you've had pains since you were young, then it had been the big C, you certainly wouldn'd be here now! You don't ovulate when you're on the pill and its probably your body readjusting!

As for the smear - the nurse explained to me that even if you have abnormal cells - it can take 10 years plus for them to turn into the big C - that's way routine smears are done every 3 (or 5 in some areas) years. If your last 2 were fine, then if you think logically (hard I know - I can't do it either!!!) there's not chance of anything sinister going on.

My GP also told me that younger women can get ovarian cancer but its very rare and usually occurs in post-menopausal women.

PS she also told me that being on the pill for at least a short time, can reduce anyone's chances of getting ovarian cancer.

We all know that if we focus on symptoms, pains etc, they will appear to be worse!!!

Blimey - I wish I'd listen to myself sometimes, but then that's my problem!!

Don't google by the way, really doesn't help!! Easier said than done again, but try and challenge those nasty thoughts with logical, sensible ones.

Take care, probably in for the long haul tonight so PM me whenever you need to.

SB xx

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information