Hi.

I have been diagnosed as having work related stress and reactive depression earlier in the week. My doctor prescribed me 20mg Citalopram, however I haven't yet started to take it and am wondering if it's worth it. I was intending to start it tomorrow after having a couple of beers over the weekend.

Having been signed off I am feeling somewhat better. I think mainly because my doctor is taking me seriously, and my employer changing their whole attitude towards me and also taking it seriously have helped enormously. A few of the symptoms have abated somewhat, but I still have others such as waking up in tears for no apparent reason.

Reading up on the drug, it does seem to have some major side effects, and coming off it also seems rather fraught. So I'm wondering that if my symptoms are receding, given time off work and the support they will hopefully give when I return I can (maybe) handle the illness without the medicine. I'm fairly sure my case isn't too severe (hopefully!!!)

What do others think?? Is it worth delaying starting it and seeing if I can cope without it, or would I be better off giving it a go and seeing what happens?

Many thanks