Thread: Managing libido loss whilst on SSRIs

Managing libido loss whilst on SSRIs

Hello,

I'm currently taking a low dose (5mg) fluoxetine for intrusive thoughts, anxiety and depression. I have been on fluoxetine this time around since around late June - up until early September I was on 20mg/day but experienced bad side effects. I cut down to 6.6666mg a day from early September and for the last 2 weeks I've been on 5mg. I've managed quite well on the lower doses but my libido is still variable and definitely worse than when I was not on any meds (though better than it was on 20mg - my libido was non existent then!)

My question is - has anyone found ways to manage the libido loss on SSRIs either through augmentation with another prescription drug or through natural methods? I know that in the US bupropion (Wellbutrin) is often prescribed for this very reason, but not in the UK, and I'm sure if I was to ask my GP for it I probably wouldn't get it...

Thanks

Emp

Re: Managing libido loss whilst on SSRIs

hello Emphyrio i have been on many SSRIs and I have not yet found away around this as you take such a low does that's all you can do maybe you could try multi vitamins not sure if that would work or not

Are you male? I used tribulus, Long Jack and Maca with some success when I was on Citalopram

I find this an interesting subject as one reason for trying desperately not to go back on fluoxetine was loss of libido.
    I felt i was letting my partner down by not engaging in sexual activity. Even when not on an SSRI, I was really not that intersted. I know I'm dealing with difficult things with my counsellor & that really doesnt help but in terms of having hope of a renewed interest in sex, I really didnt want to take the drugs again.
    In the end tho my depresssion/anger etc go so bad i had no alternative. I wish there was something that could be done to restore this interest but i guess it lies deeper than just the SSRI's affecting my libido

Have a look at a supplement called blue up and Swanson DHEA for intimacy.
    I also tried horny goat weed as well worked quite well YMMV.
    Probably better to check with your doctor before you take them just in case

Thanks for the replies Will consider some of the supplements mentioned.

Its funny because I was on 20mg of fluoxetine just 17 months ago and had absolutely no issues with libido/erection strength. Since I went back on fluoxetine I tried citalopram (twice) and clomipramine (this made me feel like death), both at low doses, and I'm guessing my brain is still readjusting to all these changes.

I came off fluoxetine and my libido has since been highly variable. A week after stopping it improved substantially, then pretty much vanished again. I've had to reinstate around 5 days ago after experiencing some brain zaps/feelings of despair, but I just hope that the libido returns eventually! Will be seeing the doc on the Monday so may ask if he can give me something to take on an as-needed basis...gawd I feel like an old man!

How is your blood pressure? At least one study has reported that the anti-hypertensive losartan also helped improve erectile dysfunction in males (not exactly loss of libido, I know, but may be related).

Thread Information