Thread: Advice needed ASAP - stop panic getting worse or phobia developing?

Advice needed ASAP - stop panic getting worse or phobia developing?

Hi all

A few years ago i had a week and a half of anxiety brought on by toothache. This was severe anxiety and panic attacks which occurred frequently. The reason for it sounds silly but at the time i felt horrendous because i felt like i couldn't escape the pain in my mouth. Even after the problem is fixed i am still now scared to death of the dentist and of getting toothache again. I lost over a stone in that week, i didn't want to eat and was constantly retching, feeling faint and weak, had waves of panic flowing over me all the time. I couldn't sleep, i had nightmares, was in cold sweats and was too frightened to be alone. I didn't work and after things finally 'sort of' calmed down i couldn't leave my house for a while.
    All this brought on by a panic attack at the dentist in the middle of a root canal.

I understand therefore that panic attacks are a catch 22 and getting them over one silly thing can cause re-occurant problems.

On Saturday the weekend just gone, i went out and went a bit overboard on my drinking and had a lot of vodka with red ball.
    (I have cut down a lot on drinking as i know how much it affects anxiety but decided to let my hair down on this occasion)

Anyway - a hangover ensued and then 6 panic attacks came one after the other.
    The reason? I thought a hair was stuck in my throat.
    I know this isn't the case (or i don't think it is) but my stupid brain has decided to latch onto that reason and use it as an excuse to panic. I am scared TO DEATH that i will now be panicking over this and a phobia will develop. I know in my own brain that this is nothing to be worried about but the panic isn't stopping. I keep trying to take my mind off it but whenever i get that feeling of dread and think about what's bothering me the panic starts all over again.

I don't know what to do. I am off work today because the unexpected panic yesterday has made me exhausted, weak and given me a thumping headache. I thought i would be OK today but i keep thinking about my throat and the panic starts again.

Can someone reassure me this is nothing to worry about? I know it's the alcohol and my stupid choice of mixer that has brought this panic on. This is the first time i have felt like this since the last time two years ago. I am still not over what happened that time!
    I can't let it happen again. I couldn't go through with it again

Please help me or reassure me, Thank you

Re: Advice needed ASAP - stop panic getting worse or phobia developing?

hi there , your throat is fine this is all down to one thing red bull i have a friend who doesnt even have any anxiety/panic that after a massive session on this gave her a panic attack the next morning, she was so scared but i made her realise it was just the drink she's laid of that and never had another attack since its pure evil stuff,
    i wish i could practice what i preach as morphine the other week gave me a panic attack and instead of me realising this and telling myself this ive fixated that there's something wrong with me, i had the attack straight after the injection so its pretty obvious what did it you'll be fine xx

Thank you for your reply

I have put the whole thing down to red bull and alcohol.
    I am trying my best to occupy myself for the time being.
    I have also taken some diazepam to calm the mood.

Thank you for the advice - i won't be touching red bull/caffeine drinks EVER again!!!
    I just hope i can keep the anxiety away now

Xx

challenge your negative thoughts

ie when will my next panic attack strike ?

i no why i had a panic attack it was because i drank red bull if i dont drink that i wont have another attack everything will be ok there is nothing wrong with me physically

Yes, caffeine is the devil as far as anxiety is concerned! Drink plenty of water today to help to flush every last ounce of it out

Red Bull - Nasty, nasty anxiety starting drink, had a session on it myslef a few years back and felt awful the next day.

Learn from this one and stay off it.

I haven't touched the stuff since.

Thread Information