Thread: Referred to counsellor and she referred me straight on for C.B.T

Referred to counsellor and she referred me straight on for C.B.T

Hi, I have anxiety and depression, and a severe fear of colds/chest infections etc as I have had pneumonia twice. I am told this is called mysophobia/verminophobia (?)

I was referred to a counsellor and as usual was unable to sit amongst people in the waiting room and had to put a scarf round my mouth to walk to her room when she called me in.

I filled in all the usual forms about depression and anxiety and explained how this fear is making my life or work impossible to cope with. She referred me straight on for C.B.T, saying I was in need of other help and not counselling. I feel I need both. I have many other issues (if you have time they are in my previous post saying I am back again). I would like to call this lady and request seeing her also, and ask her how long I will have to wait for the C.B.T. I feel I really need help now. This is in the UK by the way.

As a carer to my son who is ADHD/Mood disorder, I have been afraid to contact services for help for myself, as I fear people may think me not capable of looking after him.

I would be grateful for any advice.

Re: Referred to counsellor and she referred me straight on for C.B.T

Don't worry too much, I have had similar problems to deal with as my son has been growing up, he was unsuccessfully treated for ADHD as a child, he is now 16 and still has problems. I have been treated for panic disorder, GAD and social phobia, all the time he was growing up. My ability to care for my son has never been questioned. So, get the help you need and do not be afraid. I understand your worry about the waiting list for CBT, but there is little alternative on the NHS at the moment. Are you taking medication?

BobbyDog

Re: Referred to counsellor and she referred me straight on for C.B.T

Thanks.

No, not taking meds at the moment, had a bad experience with Seroxat/Paroxetine many years ago and it put me off.

I don't think I have any choice now, I have to accept help.

How are you doing?

Thread Information