Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So... The Norovirus is on the increase in the UK...

Unhappy So... The Norovirus is on the increase in the UK...

This is a bad time of the year for us emetophobics.

Since I read the Telegraph today about the dreaded Norovirus going around and that more people are catching it this year, I don't want to go out until it's died down... which could be a couple months from now.

Last week, I planned a day out for next Tuesday, which was to play some games of bowling. But, since I heard about the Norovirus going around, I don't want to go, since I'll be touching the bowling balls and stuff... But I really want to go...

I've read about many people visiting the doctors when they have the Norovirus, and it angers me because that's a great way of spreading this nasty virus around! I sound like a really harsh person, but it angers me when people know they're ill with something contagious, yet still go out.

What are you emetophobes going to do this winter to avoid catching this terrible virus?

Re: So... The Norovirus is on the increase in the UK...

Wash my hands at all opportunies, lol.

~"...to reaffirm that fundamental truth - that out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope, and where we are met with cynicism, and doubt, and those who tell us that we can't, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people :
    Yes, We Can!!!! ~

Wolfieeeeee

Reading this instantly made my anxiety level increase massively so I would like to ask members who don't have emetaphobia how they react to the thought of the norovirus being in their neighbourhood. That might help us sufferers think of it more calmly.

I use hand sanitiser to try to avoid catching germs. They have it in the toilets at work and I think it must be working, as I hardly ever seem to get ill nowadays (whereas in my previous job where they just had normal soap, I tended to catch an illness such as a cold or sickness bug every few months).

In any case, I tell myself that even if I do catch the norovirus, it should only last for a couple of days and then I'll start getting back to normal. It's not the end of the world if I get ill, even though it's unpleasant at the time. I definitely wouldn't let fear of catching the illness stop me from going out.

I think you should go out I kknow your anxious about catching the bug but if you don't go you will be giving into the feelings of anxiousness and you don't want that to win do you! ( This is how I do most of the things anxiety stops me from doing I challenge it, as I refuse to let it win, sort of a battle between me and the anxious self! Lol) go out have fun and kick ass at bowling! I'm sure you will be fine xx

I have worked in a Hospital for 12 years where i have to go up to the wards mostly elderly people Norovirus is not nice,but the good news is i have never caught it in 12 years hope that does not put the mockers on me now.

Mind you we have plenty of Alcohol handwash about,but its an airborne virus as well for normal healthy people your chances of catching it should be much reduced.

Richard.

Hi guys,

thanks for all the replies. I did end up going out today to play bowling, but now I wish I hadn't. I hated handling all of the balls and stuff there and seeing my family eat when they have been touching stuff that COULD have been contagious, and then when I asked my family politely to wash their hands after they get home, they said I'm just a 'hypochondriac' and an 'obsessed moron'

I know I'm a immature person and shouldn't ask people to do what I do and not touch things rarely but I'm SO scared of the Norovirus and it seems no one understands that I just CAN'T have it! My emetophobia is SO severe and I would have the worse panic attacks EVER.

Now, I'm going to be worrying for around 3 days because I'm scared I, or my family (Especially my family members since they're hygiene is poor...) go down with the Norovirus... I know the chances are slim, since it was only a bowling ally, but you never know... Plus, it's goes around at this time of the year!

I too work within a hospital & have never caught the norovirus...just make sure you take all the required precautions with handwashing etc & use sanitiser or hand wipes if/when you cant get to wash your hands & you should be fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Rls1994 View Post
    Hi guys,

thanks for all the replies. I did end up going out today to play bowling, but now I wish I hadn't. I hated handling all of the balls and stuff there and seeing my family eat when they have been touching stuff that COULD have been contagious, and then when I asked my family politely to wash their hands after they get home, they said I'm just a 'hypochondriac' and an 'obsessed moron'

I know I'm a immature person and shouldn't ask people to do what I do and not touch things rarely but I'm SO scared of the Norovirus and it seems no one understands that I just CAN'T have it! My emetophobia is SO severe and I would have the worse panic attacks EVER.

Now, I'm going to be worrying for around 3 days because I'm scared I, or my family (Especially my family members since they're hygiene is poor...) go down with the Norovirus... I know the chances are slim, since it was only a bowling ally, but you never know... Plus, it's goes around at this time of the year!

hi guys...
    im new here i just registered today and i just cant believe how many people on here feel the same way i do ALL the time!! im 29 yrs old i have 3 beautiful children and i have suffered with vomit phobia for as long as i can remember....its awful!!! i also read about the stomach bugs being on the increase and im also freaking out now!! i just wanted to ask you all do u ever actually be sick? i havent been sick since i was a child but i have heaved a few times n felt extremely sick,,, it just seems as tho i can hold it in??? does anybody else feel this way???
    rls1994 i know excatly how you feel and i am very sorry that you had to go thro that awful experience and it spolit your day....that happens to me all the time! i hope to hear back from yas soon take care xxx

Welcome to the forums xxweebeexx! Hope you enjoy your stay.

To answer your question, I haven't been sick for around 8 years now, and don't want to ever again either, especially with this Norovirus.. But yeah, I also feel extremely nauseous some days, but never am actually sick. I get a feeling of what feels like vomit coming up my throat very often but it's like, I have the power to hold it down. It's the same reason as you, I'm just THAT scared of vomiting. I'm not sure if it is vomit though, it could be something else. But that's what it feels like.

I'm lucky that I don't have to go out much nowadays, except for the doctors on the 3rd December which I'm dreading because I fear I may pick the Norovirus up from there... Although it is very unlikely I will since I'm EXTREMELY careful. I don't EVER touch anything out in public with my hands, I always use my sleeve if I have to open doors and stuff. Lol, I know! My phobia is that bad. :( If anyone in my family goes out (especially in the winter months) I panic because I worry they'll go and pick that bug up. Luckily, none of us have picked it up in the last 8 years. But since it's on the increase now, I'm horrified it's going to get us eventually. I just WISH people would not go out when they have it! Because all they're doing is spreading it everywhere and worrying us emetophobics even more.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information