Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So... The Norovirus is on the increase in the UK...

Re: So... The Norovirus is on the increase in the UK...

Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    Reading this instantly made my anxiety level increase massively so I would like to ask members who don't have emetaphobia how they react to the thought of the norovirus being in their neighbourhood. That might help us sufferers think of it more calmly.
    Hey I guess that's me ive not got a phobia of throwing up as such. But I did nearly have a panic attack when I realised I was I'll the other day . To be honest the worry associated with being Ill was for me worse than the actual event so to speak . Prior to having this bug - id rather have died than been sick , three days after I'd rather be sick than have a panic attack . That's kinda the only way I can think of to put things in perspective , it's not pleasant but it's not catastrophic either .

I have had it, and I found that i could control it. I know it sounds awful, but I had lots of water and just plain bread or potatoes for 2 days and it was out of my system.

so even if you get it, do this and it should go quickly and be controlled in the meantime.

I hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Sally

I guess I'm lucky. No one in my family works or goes out much, due to illnesses they have. But I STILL constantly worry every time they do a bit of shopping twice a week that they are going to go catch it, (or me if I go with them) especially since it's severe now apparently.

What are the chances?

.....and a ninja.

I've suffered from awful emetophobia my entire life, to the point where I never left the house and I stopped eating because I was always convinced I was going to be sick. I couldn't even imagine eating or enjoying food again at one point because I was so afraid to eat. But I'm SO much better now, I go out alot, I travel, I don't mind vomit so much aslong as I know I can't catch it ie if someone has a hangover or something I don't mind. But my nemesis will always be norovirus. I hate this time of year.
    It's not an airborne disease, like a cold or flu, it is spread if someone vomits or has diahorrea and you inhale only a few droplets from it. The droplets also land on nearby surfaces and can survive for days which means you should bleach everything if someone is ill. Anti-bacterial alcohol gel does NOTHING for noro since it's not a bacteria. I'm not saying don't use it, but wash your hands as often as possible and keep them away from your mouth or food until you do wash them as handwashing is the real way to try and prevent the spread.
    I'm very anxious just now, but remember in a country of 60million, on average per year, 1 million people get noro. That is not a lot when you think about it. There may be more cases this year but even then, let's try to think about the odds and hopefully we'll be ok!

MaryMac, I'm the EXACT same as you. If I know someone is throwing up due to something that is not contagious, (travel sickness,) I don't panic as much. But hearing the sound of someone retching is still horrifying, so of course, I cover my ears until they've stopped.

I'm just wondering something.. I've heard you're still contagious up to 48 hours after your symptoms have subsided. So... If someone had to cough on you at that time, would you catch it? Sounds like a complete stupid question but I just want to know.

Have you seen the figures of it this year? It's like 666,000 already, and we're only 4 days into December. I've seen some statuses on Facebook from people who live in the same area saying they're unwell, so of course I think they have this virus.. Ugh, I'm just so scared of anyone in my family catching it eventually! I mean, I'm not afraid of myself catching it from anywhere, because I never, ever touch stuff with my hands, I'm always using my sleeve or elbow to open doors and stuff. And I'm always washing my hands. They feel nice and smoothe haha.

Oh, speaking about travel sickness....... In July, I went to Licoln, and had to sit next to my sister, who gets travel sickness really bad. Half way there, she had to throw up, and I was sat right next to her! Ugh, it was so horrible! Luckily, I had my mp3 player with me, to drown out all the sound. After she had finished, I gave her a hug and told her I'm going to move to the back seat of the coach. Luckily, not many people were on the coach, so we could move seats if we wanted to. I felt selfish but I just cannot stand the sound of someone retching, especially if they're right next to me.

.....and a ninja.

RLS, don't feel selfish for having a horrible phobia. It's not your fault - I'm sure you'd move heaven and earth to be free from it.

I always remember when I was about 13, my brother had some kind of random sickness come over him and threw up in a plant pot my parents had just bought. I screamed the entire way home!

Thank you missybct! It's wonderful knowing people who understand your phobia, it makes me feel so much better.

Sorry to hear about that awful experience! If I knew someone threw up in something or on something I wouldn't touch or go near whatever it is ever again, even if it happened ages ago. It's because I don't like being reminded of what had happened.

.....and a ninja.

I'm the same don't worry - I used to have to walk down a certain road in my town that housed all the clubs and walking down there on a Monday morning was certainly an experience. I remember accidently stepping in some once - I threw those shoes clean away and they were brand new!

Come and talk to us at any point - we're all in this together

Oh yes, I can totally relate to that! I would hate going out on nights, especially Fridays and Saturdays as those days are usually when a lot of people go to pubs/clubs and come out drunk and stuff. Unfortunately for me, there's a pub on the same street I live on. :( So I always hear drunks go by very late on Friday/Saturday nights when I'm trying to sleep.

I would have done exactly what you did by the way, even if my shoes were pretty expensive. I don't want to be reminded of an incident like that everytime I go to put them back on.

.....and a ninja.

My grandparents were both in hospital last winter/spring for several months and their wards were constantly being closed due to norovirus infections. I'm an emet sufferer too so I was absolutely petrified about going to visit them, but obviously I had to! No one was actually sick in front of me when I was there but there were quite a few people on the ward suffering. Anyway, I never got ill, even though I was right in the middle of it. I think it tends to affect old/ill people more.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information