Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So... The Norovirus is on the increase in the UK...

Re: So... The Norovirus is on the increase in the UK...

Glad you were alright lass, and sorry to hear about your grandparents, are they okay now?

I remember sitting next to a girl in secondary school in science, who was sick in the sink a few minutes after arriving. I moved away straight away and worried I was going to catch something, as you can get it through vomit particles. Thankfully, I was fine, and I didn't panic as much since my emetophobia wasn't no where near as bad then as it is now. The girl did have the Norovirus, as she updated her Facebook and said everyone else in her family went down with it a few days later.

.....and a ninja.

Unfortunately they both passed away a few months ago :( but within 4 weeks of each other which is kinda romantic if you can look at it that way! yeah it's a lot more likely to happen if you're around the ill person a lot like family etc. I used to be a nursery nurse and nurseries are an absolute breeding ground for things like that. The kids all got ill more than the adults, although my workmates would catch stuff a lot. I probably did as well but I'm never sick (haven't been in 12 odd years) and so I'd just feel horrible for 3 days but never actually be sick. I swear it's like I'm so scared of it I can hold it in!

Oh my! I am so sorry to hear about your loss lass! That must have been an awful time for you. I know what it is like, as I lost my grandmother 2 years ago who I was very close to.

I agree though, it's usually schools/nurseries that get it the worst. I am glad I don't need to visit those places anymore, especially in these winter months. But yeah, I can also hold it in it seems too, it's very strange. I'll just put it down to willpower.

.....and a ninja.

I've often felt I've been able to hold it in too. There have been so many times when I really, in theory, should have been sick but haven't. I always thought it was just me!

I HATE this time of year...

I think what it really means is that since July there's been 666,000 which isn't that bad. It's like 1% of the population. I remember, I think it was 2008, there was a HUGE number of people who had it over Christmas/New Year, something like 3 million? And think, these people don't have it all at the same time, it's over a period of a couple of months. I don't think you can catch it if someone coughs near you, but I wouldn't recommend it! The virus particles can live on surfaces for weeks which is why it's so contagious. People don't wash their hands the way they should, then think of how much our hands come into contact with our mouths. Eating crisps, rubbing our face for whatever reason... it's almost an unconscious thing. And think in nurserys', hospitals etc. Confined spaces, if someone is sick, those particles are going to be in the air and land in all sorts of places. So just let's all try to wash our hands, don't have any contact with anyone who has it and we should be ok....

BTW, in the UK, Boots sell an antiVIRAL hand sanitiser which kills noro, the problem is that it's not a bacteria, so all of these NO GERMS etc. don't work. I'm heading to Boots shortly to get some!

Quote Originally Posted by Rls1994 View Post
    MaryMac, I'm the EXACT same as you. If I know someone is throwing up due to something that is not contagious, (travel sickness,) I don't panic as much. But hearing the sound of someone retching is still horrifying, so of course, I cover my ears until they've stopped.

I'm just wondering something.. I've heard you're still contagious up to 48 hours after your symptoms have subsided. So... If someone had to cough on you at that time, would you catch it? Sounds like a complete stupid question but I just want to know.

Have you seen the figures of it this year? It's like 666,000 already, and we're only 4 days into December. I've seen some statuses on Facebook from people who live in the same area saying they're unwell, so of course I think they have this virus.. Ugh, I'm just so scared of anyone in my family catching it eventually! I mean, I'm not afraid of myself catching it from anywhere, because I never, ever touch stuff with my hands, I'm always using my sleeve or elbow to open doors and stuff. And I'm always washing my hands. They feel nice and smoothe haha.

Oh, speaking about travel sickness....... In July, I went to Licoln, and had to sit next to my sister, who gets travel sickness really bad. Half way there, she had to throw up, and I was sat right next to her! Ugh, it was so horrible! Luckily, I had my mp3 player with me, to drown out all the sound. After she had finished, I gave her a hug and told her I'm going to move to the back seat of the coach. Luckily, not many people were on the coach, so we could move seats if we wanted to. I felt selfish but I just cannot stand the sound of someone retching, especially if they're right next to me.

I had the pleasant experience of being in a shop where the cashier started to talk to her colleague about thinking she had food poisoning at the weekend, but still felt bad, so maybe it was the sickness bug? Typical then, that I should be served by her. Now I'm freaking out that she's passed something on to me. It's probably totally innocuous, she said she'd been feeling poorly at the weekend (so four days ago) and she was diabetic, so it could be a variety of reasons. Doesn't work that simply though in my head!

Holy Marshmellows! Didn't know 2008 was that bad! But that also makes me feel better, as none of us caught it. And I heard no one else in my area had it either. I'm glad I live in a small town.

@missy, I am sorry to hear you had to be there at the time of that! I would also automatically think they have had that dreaded Norovirus too and I would panic. Did you happen to touch anything they had touched? If not, I wouldn't worry at all. I was in a similar situation last year, and this person DID have the Norovirus, I was very close to them, but I didn't catch anything.

Oh, or are you worried that the virus is in your area after hearing that? It's extreme, but if I found out people were going down with this virus in my small area, I wouldn't go out for a while.

I hope that because it started earlier this year, it will die down earlier. Fingers crossed!

We should all try our best to not worry about this, and think positively. I'm definitely looking forward to Christmas and New Years day! ...But I'm looking forward to New Years day only because we will be having Champagne truffles haha.
    Last edited by Rls1994; 06-12-12 at 17:32.

.....and a ninja.

I'm going to FOUR Christmas meals over the next week. The first one is this Saturday coming and the final one is the following Saturday. Kind of regret agreeing to go to all these events but I signed up when my phobia was a little less rampant - now norovirus seems to be everywhere and I'm petrified! I have to go though, I've paid my deposits for them all and don't want to miss out...

Wish I could live in a bubble!

Oh dear! You poor person! Just make sure you wash your hands before eating and after, and don't put your hands anywhere near your face when you're there. That's all you can do I'm afraid. But I wouldn't worry too much, honestly. I mean you're not going to know until you're there. Is the Norovirus in your area by the way?

I've got to go hospital on the 17th, and that's usually the time it's here... So, I'm kinda panacing a little as well, but I'm always extemely careful so I highly doubt I will catch anything.

I've been in a household of three people who had the Norovirus a few years ago, and guess what? I was fine! So, as long as you're careful you will be fine. I don't think anything will happen anyway. Try not to worry.

.....and a ninja.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information