Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of forgetting/memory loss

Fear of forgetting/memory loss

I have developed such a fear that i am suddenly convinced i am going to loose my memory. I panic so much and feel constantly anxious that i cant relax or think straight. I told the doc and he said i needed to up my sertraline which so ar has made me feel even more paranoid and anxious.
    I hear my own voice question things like whats his name? Whats that? How do you get there? And i have to answer it and if i cant a rush of adrenilin comes and causes me panic and distress for a few moments.
    Its ruining my life.

Re: Fear of forgetting/memory loss

Hi Charlee, I also worry about losing my memory. It started 4 years ago and got really bad, I thought I had Alzheimer's for sure (even though I was only 24 at the time). I was worrying and doubting everything, worrying that I was going to forget how to do things and who people are, names, where I was and what I was doing. It was absolutely horrible. I went to the doctor and got referred to a therapist. I only had a few sessions with her and then I tried to work on things on my own, like questioning my thoughts and that, Cognitive Behavioural techniques.

It's got better now but I still worry about it sometimes. Like you. I have to answer questions like what's someone's name is and how you do things. I go over what I've had to eat for the last few days. It helps me to write the answer down, so I know that I've answered it.

Maybe you could ask the doctor to be referred to a therapist. Or maybe change your medicine if it's not working? I've never had Setraline so I don't know much about it. I used to take Prozac but now I take Trazadone Hydrochloride for anxiety in general and depression. I hope it helps to know that you're not alone worrying about this.

Oh my i have just burst into tears your the only person who is describing how i am! Thank god im not alone. Im 26 and its been going in since a panic attack 10 weeks ago. I also torture myself buy having to go through what i did on everyday of the week. Of ourse its normal to forget little bits but when i cant i have major panic overload! I hope i can try and get better as i keep fearing i will forget who my gorgeous kids are. Its crazy lol x

I know, it's so horrible when you get in such a panic. And it's hard when noone else around you really understands about your fear. I'm glad it helps to know you're not alone. I have to go now but if you want to talk more about things, I'd be happy to talk to you, on here or by private message. x

Thnaks. I have to take kids to school in an hour and im a nervous wreck! I will inbox you later xx

Thanks for that horrid reply! I rung nhs direct as u freaked me out. They assured me i need councelling and im not ill

Being anxious really does affect your memory and concentration so much. I am constantly forgetting things and know it is just because of my anxiety. Sometimes it even takes a while for it to register what people are saying to me. My husband can ask me a question and often has to wait 10 minutes for an answer! I don't worry that is anything else as when I get a break from the anxiety (not very often) I am fine. I hope this reassures you, you are not alone x

Yes when i think about it more i become more aware of my feelings but when i dont i feel ok. I just cant channel my brain to stop thonking the worst!
    A lady above commented who has now been banned luckily commented saying i would get a second opinion which scared me so much! I rung nhs direct as i was worried and the nurse was very reassuring and suggested changing meds and CBT.
    X

I think someone started a thread a few weeks ago on the same thing (see, my memory is so bad I can't remember who it was!). Please don't worry about it, especially a a mum with young children it is so hard to remember everything because you have so much on your mind. One of my sons had a hospital appointment and I got all the way to the hospital before I remembered I had forgotten to collect him from school!

---------- Post added at 09:21 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

And don't worry about what the person whose's post was deleted said, it is just anxiety and possibly meds

I am terrible. my memory is awful. I put things in places and forget where they are.
    I have paniced so much about losing things in the house i thought my husband
    would give up on me.
    I try not to panic, but I cannot rest untill I have found what i am after.
    I have not said anything to GP about it as I have so many problems I don't think
    they have time to listen.There is a tv in waiting room and a sign comes on the screen. It says GP allows 7mins per patient.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information