Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've successfully withdrawn from Mirtazapine

I've successfully withdrawn from Mirtazapine

Just thought I'd let those of you who wish to withdraw and those who will withdraw in future that I have had a relatively pain free withdrawal from mirtazapine. I've been off it now for about two and a half weeks. I was on 15mg for approximately 10 months.

I went down to 7.5mg and stayed on that for six weeks, then decided to try and come off it completely.
    The withdrawal week went like this:
    Tues. 23rd Oct. No mirt
    Wed. 24th Oct. a quarter of a zopiclone sleeping pill
    Thurs. 25th Oct. 7.5mg mirt
    Then none whatsoever after that. I was very surprised that I had hardly any withdrawal symptoms. I've had a couple of nights where sleep was difficult, a couple of 'shivery head' moments, but overall sleep has been better than I expected.

My overall experience of this medication has been positive. It helped me enormously last Winter when I was absolutely worn down both mentally and physically by anxiety and some depression. I've had blips on it, but stuck it out and they passed.

The reason I stopped taking it was that I began to experience recurrent flu like symptoms after about the eight month mark. This is a rare but well known side effect of mirt. I just couldn't take feeling so physically bad on such a regular basis anymore. This has completely cleared up now, so it was definitely caused by the medication.

I am not out of the woods emotionally yet because I still have a very stressful situation going on (those who know me here know what I'm referring to) - no need to explain really. But I am feeling stronger because I can now see light at the end of this long dark tunnel. Mirt helped me to break the vicious cycle of anxiety which had me spiralling downward probably to a nervous breakdown. On it I began to remember better times when I didn't feel like that and began to have hope that I could endure and get the strength needed to rescue myself from utter despair.

Some of the very good people on this forum helped me enormously with good advice and encouragement to stick with the med in the early weeks:
    Jo (JT) - thank you for your very kind and encouraging words.
    And Ingenious and Oldtime's threads inspired me and gave me hope.

I believe this med is worth a try. It will not work for everyone because we are all have different brain chemistry. If we all had the same, then one medication would help us all. Some will find some of the side effects unacceptable and that's ok, try something else... there are others that may suit you better.

A big thank you to all my Mirt Buddies!! I'll still be sticking around.

Belle xx

Re: I've successfully withdrawn from Mirtazapine

Well done Belle on this. I'm not feeling v well myself physically at the moment but I will reply more fully when I'm 100%. What an achievement. EJ.

Thank you for your kind words EJ I hope you'll be feeling better soon

Belle xx

Ah Belle so proud of you!! Well done!!

Thanks for your kind words...glad you will still be around.

Brilliant post which will help others coming off mirtazipine.

TC
    Jo.xx

Thank you Jo
    Belle xx

Well done Belleblue This is my first time in the forum actually since about July time, so am catching up with some of the regulars from back then. It's so good to read you came off Mirt OK and I think the trick is exactly what you have done - a very soft landing by doing 7.5mg for a month or more.

ive been on mirtazapine for over a year now and im have stopped taking it due tojoint pain, i am having hot and cold sweats and have not slept for nearly three days, but the joint pain has gne, i cant stand the imsonia due you think it,s a side effect from withdrawing from this drug?

When did you stop taking it alison2? If the insomnia has only started since you came off Mirt then yes I'd say it's probably a withdrawal effect. You just have to be patient, you'll level out in due course

First of all many many congratulations, I remember how much you helped me around this same time last year. I also want to come of mirtazpine, the weight gain is becoming difficult to deal with. I was thinking of doing the same, lowering my dose, for about 6 weeks, but what I wanted to know was whether reducing the dose had made you lose any weight? Very happy for other forum members to share their experiences.

Thanks

Nahdia

Hi Nahdia, thank you so much for the kind words
    I only gained about 5lbs on mirt, although it did feel like more I have to say... I think there's an element of bloat with this med which could very well be water retention. But yes, I lost the weight I had put on within about 3 weeks of stopping and no more bloat!

I wish you the best of luck with this and if I can be of any further help, please let me know. Take care now.

Belle xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information