Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scared of taking Fluoxetine?

Unhappy Scared of taking Fluoxetine?

Hi guys.

Today I was prescribed with Fluoxetine and I've heard they can make you throw up/feel nauseous, which I have a terrible phobia of. I haven't been on anti-depressents before and I just would like some reassurance that I will be alright taking them?

I've been on countless medication before and none have made me throw up or feel really nauseous, except for really strong asprins.

I don't mind having any other side effect as long as it isn't throwing up or feeling really nauseous.

What should I do? Should I just suck it up and take them? Or should I just leave it?

Thanks.

Re: Scared of taking Fluoxetine?

Personally I had a really upset tummy with bad indigestion type pain but I did not feel sick or was sick, the doctor told me to take plenty of gaviscon which did help a lot, I did not have any appetite but tried to eat something even a bite of biscuit or toast every two hour. The indigestion did wear off and I did have different side effects for five and a half weeks, it was not easy at times and I did hit rock bottom more than once but it was so so worth it as I feel good now.

The choice is yours and whether the suffering you have now is something you can put up with or take something that may help it has to be your decisiion.

When I started my medication I did feel nauseous for the first few days, but I was never actually sick. I hardly ate anything for the first few days because of this. Thankfully my appetite soon came back.

I think you should take them if you feel you need them. I've just had a quick look at your previous threads, and I saw the one where you said you felt suicidal at one point. So I think it would be best to go ahead with the medication as this should help you with your depression. If it doesn't work, or if the side effects are too severe, you can always talk to your doctor about switching to something else.

Take care.

Hi, I was very nauseous during my first weeks of fluoxetine. My husband bought fresh ginger root, and I ate small bits of it. It actually helped.

---------- Post added at 21:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:05 ----------

Also, I found out that it was better to take the tablet with a little food. I was more nauseous when I took it on an empty stomach. Good luck

I've been on fluoxetine 3 times - none of the times I took it I was sick. I experienced very few side effects the first two times I took it, then quite a few side effects the third time, which were mostly concerned with feeling agitated/tense/shaky, but not so much nausea.

Fluoxetine really helped me in the past, but taking meds should always ideally be accompanied by talking therapy for maximum effectiveness. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm still nervous and don't really want to take one just in case. Last time I felt really nauseous I had countless panic attacks, so I don't want to go down that road again.

edit: Oh and nice quote Emphyrio! :P FFIX is an awesome game!

It sounds like you're in a horrible Catch 22 situation here. I'm not really sure what to suggest. Maybe it's best if you go back to your doctor and explain about your emetophobia and see if they can suggest anything to help.

Hmm.... I'm going to be brave and take a capsule tonight. My parents say I will be fine and will give me support if I do end up feeling terrible after taking them.

Hi there, I also found that it helps to take the fluoxetine with yoghurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rls1994 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm still nervous and don't really want to take one just in case. Last time I felt really nauseous I had countless panic attacks, so I don't want to go down that road again.

edit: Oh and nice quote Emphyrio! :P FFIX is an awesome game!
    Sorry to go off topic, Nice to see there a video gamers on this board as that's my hobby when I feel well. Waiting for citalopram to kick in myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information