Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: My Escitalopram diary

My Escitalopram diary

For the past ten years I have suffered with GAD and panic attacks mainly due to being in a bad marriage, which I finally walked away from back in March with my 9 year old son. At the time I had been prescribed Mirtazapine as after 3 horrific start up's on Citalopram, I asked if I could try something different. Unfortunatley the Mirtazapine only made me more ill and was a nightmare to quit. Next I tried Venlafaxine but it made me terribly sick and totally anxious so I switched to Trazodone after 5 days but saw no imporvement after 3 weeks which eventually made me decide the only way forward was to go back on Citalopram as it has never failed me in the past. I was so pleased when the doctor said he would give me the new version escitalopram, though still too terrified to take my first pill for a couple of days and when I finally went for it I chopped it in half and have been taking 2.5mg's for 7 days along with 2mg's of Lorazepam when i first wake up and feel pretty rough, not exactly anxious anymore just terribly flat like grief. But despite a few bad headaches which have now passed, I think I am coping with this dose really well and am feeling pretty much normal most of the day. Now I just need to take the full 5mg pill and hope that's not when I will be hit with lots of horrible side effects but need to get the Escitalopram working on it's own without needing benzo's. I am feeling very positive about my medication though and am actually sleeping better than I have in months, I'd got so bad at sleeping some nights I was awake by 1am having panic atacks and ringing the NHS helpline but since I started Escitalopram I've not even been worried about retiring for the night. My feelings of grief pass quickly and I am confident once I get on the correct dose my life will really get right back on track like the rest of it is now i have got a lovley new appartment, my little boy loves his new school and though my Husband is making my divorce as difficult as possible I no longer let him bother me as he is a 100 miles away and can no longer control me.

---------- Post added at 10:11 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

Escitalopram is a walk in the park compared to the old style (or it has been so far, lol)

Re: My Escitalopram diary

Good Luck Karen I hope things continue to improve for you xxx

Good luck Karen, it sounds like you're improving already and have an optomistic outlook which always helps.
    Keep posting, I will follow your thread with interest as I have escitalopram liquid prescribed but have yet to take it, too stubborn and chicken!
    I hope you continue to improve
    Sam x

Sam you will be fine. I was absolutley terrified after been on normal Cit 3 times and going through horrific side effects each time but so far, EsCit has been totally tolerable...I've had a bit of anxiety today but just a little nervousness, nothing bad. I'm worried about upping my dose but think I may do it in quaters and have my Lorazepam to help if I do get really anxious. All the best darl xx

You're doing amazing, Karen! I look forward to reading your progress. Your increase to 5mg should go pretty smoothly. Try not to worry. I only noticed a significant increase in side effects when I increased to 10mg. Wishing you every success and happiness xxx

Thanks Cat, I'm feeling really quite flat today so maybe its time to go up to my 5mg pill, I'm also a bit hormonal at the mo too which always effects me ): I should be ok as the morning ticks by, I'm not normally depressed just terribly anxious but this is probs just me calming down happens and the chemicals all changing in my body. Still glad I decided to take escitalopram though as my days have been much better than before i went on it, bit worried over the increase but 'm sure I'll be ok in a couple of days even if I do get a few more side effects (:
    Last edited by karenp; 19-11-12 at 09:45.

Thumbs up Re: My Escitalopram diary

Day 9

I took the plunge last night and took a full 5mg pill. I went to bed at 9.30 and woke about 4.30 so not too bad but did feel very low again and still do feel pretty flat but not half as bad now I've got up, been to school and back with my little boy, done a bit of house work. More than anything I seem to have a rotten headache but have already taken paracetamols to try and ward it off, it should go soon hopefully. I'm also feeling like I could just go back to sleep so not feeling totally brilliant at the mo but hoping to see some real improvement when I have reached the 2 week mark and onwards. Even though I had a much better week last week, I just need to give this medicine a real chance if I am ever to get well again after failing miserably on Mirtazapine, Venlafaxine and Trazodone. Escitalopram's not as kind as I first thought but it is by no means as evil as normal Citalopram. I dont seem to have much of an appetitie but believe this to be very normal so have stocked up on fruit and salad and I'm making sure I DRINK LOTS OF WATER Too.

It's 5pm now and I'm feeling totally normal after a bit of a rocky day but not an horrific day. I've just wanted to sleep all the time and had a terrible headache, then had some nervousness around 2pm but it went away when I switched on the telly and after I went to pick my little boy up from school. Wills and I have just been doing homework together and though my appetitie is still really poor I've managed a bowl of vegatable soup. Usually normal Citalopram woould have me totally panic sticken by now but touch wood, I think I'm going to be ok on Cipralex and am no longer scared of taking
    it.

great news Karen hope it continues for you, you so deserve it xx

You're doing great

Happy for you

Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information