Thread: Weight loss / stomach issues

Weight loss / stomach issues

Hey all,

I've hit an anxiety flare up while doing a lot of intense work on a play (both producing and performing) which I think has caused a lot of my symptoms to come back.

I had dizziness and chest pains for a while, which the doctors couldn't find a cause for, that subsided, then I got a lot of stomach problems and lost half a stone over about a month period.

Had some more tests and they all came back normal, I calmed a bit, and was put on Omeprazole to settle my stomach acid.

I'm now off the initial dose and my stomach problems have mostly gone away, I started to put on a few pounds after I just tried to eat as much and often as possible (I'm naturally very skinny, 25, male, and have always had a problem with my weight)

This week, as it's the week of the play, is very stressful again, and I've noticed the dizziness coming back, some visual symptoms (blurry / foggy) and I've noticed that I've lost a few pounds again.

My brain is trying to tell me to relax and that it's stress / anxiety, but I'm still worried about the weight loss and dizziness and if it will stabilise once I've relaxed.

Does it sound normal of anxiety to get this much weight loss?

I'm sure years ago I lost weight, but because I was anxious the Dr's didn't worry me about it, but now my Dr's are looking more seriously into it, I'm starting to think it's something more sinister.

I'm still eating as much as possible, but I rarely have a chance to sit down and relax after I eat, so I guess I'm just burning off the calories through stress / adrenaline.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Sorry to rattle on!

Chris x

Re: Weight loss / stomach issues

Hi, if it is any comfort I get acute health anxiety and each time this happens I loose weight. Recently I lost 6lbs in one week and like you thought it was some form of cancer which made matters worse. I to continued to make myself eat. I think the anxiety stops your body from absorbing the nutrients in food hence the weight loss. Once you have finished the play etc. I feel sure you will start to put on weight.

Thanks Frankie,

Always good to know you're not the only one. It's a horrible feeling though, especially as all the symptoms seem to come out of nowhere, and go away for long periods of time.

hi chris, i have had problems with acid reflux due to anxiety and also throat tightenings ect... i was only eating bland stuff for a few months even though the doc said i could eat normally, but i was too scared to eat much incase i had a bad flare up of acid (even tho i never did ) i lost a sone and a half over 7 months anyway im now eating normally again but havent gained any weight yet, awfall isnt it

Thread Information