Thread: Prozac for anxiety anyone?

Jem27 Guest

Prozac for anxiety anyone?

I think my GP will prescribe me this today, anyone found it helpful with anxiety? I hate taking medication, I had a reaction to cypralex another SSRI 2 yrs ago so im really worried about going onto prozac as its an SSRI. I have been on tryciclics before with no real probs.

Thanks
    Jem

Jem

Go here Links to posts about Common Problems

Then you can read all the posts about Prozac

I had it and it helped the depression but not the panic/anxiety I am afraid to say.

Nicola

Jem27 Guest
    Thank you Nicola.

I was given prozac (I wasn't depressed) for anxiety. After some really bad side effects (6 weeks to subside) I felt better. Not had a P.A. since and am feeling more confident.

Kay

hi
    if you dont mind me asking, wot reaction did u get to cipralex?
    i am on citalopram, i think they are the same, but mines generic. i was on prozac a couple of years ago for depression and ocd, they worked magically, but i dont think they do much for anxiety, sorry. but you never know they might for u.
    you can only try
    take care
    juju

we are all stronger people after having this

i just have to put my opinion forth here,

i was extremely anxious (not depressed at this point!) and was given prozac and have to say its the worst thing they could have done, it heightened everything and i've never felt so petrified in my entire life, my whole body was shaking in fear.

ok thats probably scared the hell out of you now which i dont want to do, because i'm sure its helped some people with anxiety, but i must say its more for depression than anxiety.

I was put on venlafaxine and although helped brilliantly its quite a toughy to come off..

they all have their pros and cons, spk to someone you trust.

lisa xxx

"do not fear to hope...Each time we smell the autumn's dying scent, we know that primrose time will come again"

"Like water be gentle and strong. Be gentle enough to follow the natural paths of the earth, and strong enough to rise up and reshape the world"

Hi Jem
    When I first started suffering anxiety PAs I was put on Prozac. It took quite a while for the full effect to kick in, but the end result was that I was virtually anxiety/panic free. I suffered no side effects and didn't have any trouble coming off them.
    The thing to remember is that whilst medication can make you feel a whole lot better, it only masks the issues that have caused you to experience anxiety in the first place. I would strongly recommend that you also work on developing some sustainable coping techniques such as relaxation and positive thinking, and think about aksing your GP if you can be referred for CBT (I know this from bitter experience - I came off my meds last December, gave up my relaxation practice, carried on as I did before - and just this week have had to go back to my GP to ask to be put back on them again)!
    Good luck - we can do it!
    Jo x

"courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear"

Jem27 Guest
    Thank you, I am seeing a psycologist on thursday, he does cbt so im hoping he can forward me for that. I am willing to do that rather than go on pills.

When I was on cypralex, i only took 1 and i had a rush of burning in my chest, my pulse was racing and i nearly fainted, it caused a huge panic attack. All happened within 45 mins of taking it. Allergic reaction I was told, very scary.

Hi Jem,

This is just my personal opinion of course, but I think prozac is mainly for depression not anxiety. I also tried it and I only have anxiety and ocd issues, made me go bonkers, much worse anxiety. Hope this helps.

Bel

"Our thoughts are our reality"

hi I have been on prozac for many years for my anxiety. Just resently had to increase amount taken. Dr. said somestimes your body gets use to it.
    Also what is Recue Remedy and can it be used with other meds?

Thread Information