Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going to be referred for cbt

going to be referred for cbt

morning all i have just been refererred for cbt has anyone got any experiences of this really hope it helps me

Re: going to be referred for cbt

Cbt is very good Belinda and I am sure you will find it helpful x

i hope so actually cant wait to get started sick of panc attacks now x

I know they are awful. do you take any medication?

Good luck with your CBT, Belinda. I've found it very useful and I hope you will too.

Will your CBT be one-to-one or will it be group therapy. I was in a large group for mine, but I still found it very helpful and I learnt a lot of techniques for controlling my anxious thoughts.

hi annie i only take prpononol 10mg i have never really wanted to take meds s ive battled on like this for 24 yrs sometiimes having bad periods like im having now most of the time coping with it.I been diagnosed recently with an over active thyroid weather this has added to my anxiety i dont know.Just feel like im going round in circles at the minute going from one extreme to the other having all sorts of terrible thoiughts. Hi sparkle im not sure at the minute ive just had a telephone assessment from iapts yesterday to see what would be the best counselling for me and he said about cbt so waitng to see what happens nxt.

I don't know much about propranolol as I've never taken it, but from what I've heard it only deals with the physical effects of anxiety (eg the adrenalin release, rapid heartbeat etc) and not the intrusive thoughts. That's why some people take SSRIs instead of or in addition to propranolol. It might be worth mentioning this to your doctor if you think it would help you.

I had to have a telephone assessment too, and the outcome was that I was referred to CBT Stress Control classes. Once the course had finished, I was given the option of requesting one-to-one help but I don't think I need that right now. (I can always refer myself back if I change my mind).

CBT is no magic cure , but for sure it slows the brain down and to think more rational about irrational thoughts one may have , the relaxation tapes are good and if not working ask if any mindfullness classes avaailable to , more tools in the tool box the better

I'm currently waiting for mindfulness classes too! It probably won't start until next year now. In the meantime, I've downloaded some mindfulness MP3s and I listen to them before I go to sleep each night.

Its a good start , all I can say is yes it is in the mind its all about retraining it out of its long term habits, please keep battling on you will get threre

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information