Thread: How do you increase your energy levels

How do you increase your energy levels

My anxiety, thank god, has been pretty good all year.

I have had a virus recently and it is really rocked my energy levels and I have been aware that because of this my mood has lowered along with the fear that my anxiety is likely to kick in because of this - it has generally left me feeling quite unsure of how I feel.

What I would like to know is whether anyone takes anything which REALLY does help getting their energy back on track.

I am taking citalopram so, would need to take something inline with that.

I am attempting to eat properly and exercise but, feel that very quickly I could become quite "vunerable" if I dont start feeling completely good soon.

Any suggestions welcome, please...

Jackie

Re: How do you increase your energy levels

Hi Jackie,

Sorry for the probably boring and expected answer but the very best way is to get out there and excercise regularly and also with getting your eating back to normal again.

You feeling vulnerable is in my experience a perfectly normal reaction as you will be worrying as you say but this does not mean that you will be more vulnerable to an attack. Just remember you will be feeling better day by day and remind yourself anytime you feel anxious that it is just your head using the virus as a cause for anxiety which in reality will not cause you to be more susceptible at all.

Also just use what ever has helped you have a good year to keep in the front of your mind and block out and dispel anything that you worry about.

Anxiety drops the more and more we get used to dealing with it and I'm sure this time next year if you have another virus fingers crossed being more vulnerable won't even cross your mind as you will have been there done that.

Back to the questions though (sorry I do like a good ramble!) You can always take extra vitamins etc, these can help lift your bodies energy and get you feeling better, but just doing a jog or fast walk for 20 mins or half an hour every day/couple of days does wonders!

Hope you feel better soon!
    Andy

I agree with Andy. Just get into a little exercise and you'll find yourself improving. I was in the same boat a few years ago. I was due to start uni but I fell very ill so I went to the Doctor and tested positive for Glandular Fever/Epstein Barr virus. I was rushed to hospital a few days later because of the pain and when I was released a further week later I was very weak. I have 14 steps in my home separating the ground and first floor - I had to rest half way! I went from being fit to struggling to climb 7 steps. Anyway, I was told this weakness could last 6 months, I laid around for a while waiting to recover and just started some incremental exercise. I eventually started getting some strength back and was back to my regular self months later. Diet helps too, I'd recommend extra iron (Liver is good) and maybe sodium depending on your ailment.
    Most of all, keep in mind my favourite mantra: PMA. Positive Mental Attitude!

Quote Originally Posted by NeilP View Post
    I agree with Andy. Just get into a little exercise and you'll find yourself improving. I was in the same boat a few years ago. I was due to start uni but I fell very ill so I went to the Doctor and tested positive for Glandular Fever/Epstein Barr virus. I was rushed to hospital a few days later because of the pain and when I was released a further week later I was very weak. I have 14 steps in my home separating the ground and first floor - I had to rest half way! I went from being fit to struggling to climb 7 steps. Anyway, I was told this weakness could last 6 months, I laid around for a while waiting to recover and just started some incremental exercise. I eventually started getting some strength back and was back to my regular self months later. Diet helps too, I'd recommend extra iron (Liver is good) and maybe sodium depending on your ailment.
    Most of all, keep in mind my favourite mantra: PMA. Positive Mental Attitude!
    This is the one major factor that helps me beat everything!! So nice to hear someone else say similar. It is so important.

Keeping positive, looking forward to things even stupid things like a nice meal or favourite TV programme, not letting anything beat you etc and excersice is one of the main things that helps lift your mood and therefore get this state of mind going easier!

I don't mean to sound negative but I find it very hard when at a vulnerable point to get motivated to do exercise it takes me all my time to function. The main thing to combat the fatigue is not to overdo it. Try and keep yourself in a routine, don't allow yourself to withdraw from activities you enjoy. Remember it is the illness that has brought you down and as you get stronger you will improve and reach a state again where you can function like before.

Thanks for the replies, all good sound advice.

Cheers.

Thread Information