Thread: Want to change from Mirtazapine

Want to change from Mirtazapine

I would like to first say hi as I am new to this forum
    Hope you are all well
    I have battled with Insomnia which is efinately in mu opinion caused by Anxiety issues for over 5 years now. I also have rather mild anxiety issues. I was on Citalorpam for quite a while and using cannabis for sleep. After a while I managed to stop the cannabis and after a few months I was sleeping like a normal person. Stopped the Citalopram an I was fine for a few months. The Insomnia came back with a vengeance and I was back to square one. After a while of being fed up of smoking I asked the doc to change my medication to something more sedating and they gave me Mirtazapine which worked amazingly. daytime anxiety came back but I can deal with that I still have not given up the smoking though but I am much closer. The problem is whilst on the Citalopram I decided to get back to the kind of shape I used to be in and dropped around 12kg in the space of about 12 months which has come back on whilst I am taking the Mirtazpine despite me doing nothing different I spoke to the doctor about this as I have a holiday coming up and I had a scare regarding blood sugar when I originally was this fat before. I got put on Trazadone and didnt sleep for around 3 days and ended up back on the Mirtazapine. I'm not happy about this at all. I am considering whether Pregabalin would be any good for my sleep issues? I really do not like being at 21% bodyfat and I think it could cause me serious health issues down the line as I am naturally a slim person. Has anybody on here made this change before? is Pregablin as good as Mirtazapine for sleep? Or is there a medication I caould ask the doc that I could take durring the day that would help me lose this fat? Wellbutrin perhaps?I eventually would like to get to the point of not needing anything to sleep but its still some way down the line I feel. Thanks for any advice in advance

Re: Want to change from Mirtazapine

I've had sleep issues for over 30 years, I swear by 15mg of Mirtazapine nightly now.

I took tricyclic ADs sedation in the 1990s, particularly dosulepin and doxepin, but I don't believe Doctors prescribe these any more.

I found Trazodone was great for about a week, then I kept waking earlier every day till I was on 3 hours a night. Went back to Mirtazapine sharpish

Also found Citalopram was great for helping me sleep and was probably the most natural (less druggy feeling) sleep for me. Certain other side effects made me come off them though.

By the way, Mirtazapine is highly associated with weight gain through unaturally increased appetite (carb or sugar cravings for me). I've been on a diet for years just to avoid putting on weight (I'm 4 stone overweight but very active - walking around 40-50 miles a week at present).

Mark

I take Pregabalin and it does nothing for my sleep, I have suffered with insomnia for as long as I can remember. Amitriptyline is good insomnia, been taking this for about 6 months and it works for my anxiety as well.

BobbyDog

Thank you for the replies.
    Yeah the weight gain is a big issue for me, I'm very vain
    Sleep has been golden.
    Had a bad nights sleep last night though, accidentaly took 60mg of Mirtazapine and think that's why.
    I've read its highly stimulating at a higher dose.
    Do you think this could be what caused it?
    How does Amitriptyline compare to Mirt for sleep? How are the sides? Also my sleep wasnt bad on Citalopram.
    Mods I didn't realize this thread had been replied to and started another thread.
    Delete the other thread if this has caused an inconvenience

Has anyone on here had Mirtazapine stop working for sleep and anxiety? Ive been on it for about a year but recently my sleep and anxiety have been terrible. Especially the sleep

Hi Daz

Yes I had it stop working, so I switched to Trazodone. That stopped working for sleep after about 2 weeks, so I went back to Mirtazapine and Mirt started working again. Also happened after trying Citalopram.

So, for me, each time I tried another drug as the Mirt seemed to have stopped working (Trazodone, Citalopram) on my return to Mirt after 2/3 weeks it worked as well as ever. The break seemed to kick start the sedation side effect all over again.

Ahh thats not bad. I may stay on the Citalopram if that works for the sleep again as I didn't experience weight gain on that and I am vain...
    Trazodone did sweet FA for me but that might have been not withdrawing properly from Mirt last time.
    I really thought I was getting somewhere mentally till last night but my brain just wouldnt STFU
    Last edited by Dazzlar13; 28-12-12 at 13:20.

Thread Information