Thread: Drinking alcohol?

Drinking alcohol?

I suffer with anxiety over the last 3 or 4 years has many of u have known but i have been able to get on with it until this week where i ended up with DP/DR, my question is will i be okay to have a good drink over the holiday season...i dont mean every day i mean maybe xmas eve and new years eve, will this do anything too me apart from make me my usual happy loving drunk self...i have drank a lot before through out my adult life from age of 18 and ive always had anxiety and its never really bothered me too much when ive had a drink , but this DP/DR as scared me....im only 21 years old and i enjoy a drink on special occasions with my friends, i know you dont have to drink to have a good time, but when your in a club and every one is drunk and dancing around its hard not too...or is there a certain type of alcoholic drink that does not affect anxiety or DP/DR as much as others, i like to drink most things, Lager, Cider, Spritis, Champagne, wine etc...not really fussy, i just want soemthing to look forward too and i feel like not going out if i cant have a good old knees up and join in the festivities.... please dont judge me on feeling un able to enjoy myself with out doing so

Re: Drinking alcohol?

I not telling you to drink as I don't think it helps anxiety at all in the long run, it certainly makes mine worse. But I don't think drinking is going to make your DP/DR worse at the time, you will probably feel the same as when you have drank before. But what it is likely to do is make all your anxiety symptoms 10 times worse the next day. When ever I am hungover my anxiety is through the roof and I feel all the progress ive made goes out the window. So if you do drink just be prepared that the next day will not be very nice.

I am the same as you though, I feel I cant go out and have a good time without drinking. Every time I do drink I regret it but I soon forget and do it again a few weeks later. But I do always regret it the next day and in my opinion its not worth it.

Whatever you do, don't go to mad and drink to much lol, take it easy and have a good time

You will regret it the day after
    But you can't live Like a nun forever .. So enjoy ur self but try not to over do it and have water in-between drinks ! Ur anxiety will for sure be worse the day after thou x have fun x

Sorry to be a numpty but what's DP/DR?

I've suffered with anxiety for years and years, I drink all the time and it doesn't affect from anxiety at all, I also take meds. The decision is yours you know your body and your anxiety, remember its your body and its up to you what you do with it!

Just before anyone says anything I have a glass of wine most nights because I enjoy it and to be honest I find I relaxing xx

Sufferers of Depersonalisation or Derealisation feel divorced from both the world and from their own body. Often people who experience depersonalisation claim that life "feels like a dream", things seem unreal, or hazy; some say they feel detached from their own body. Another symptom of this condition can be the constant worrying or strange thoughts that people find hard to switch off.

A glass of wine is fine in my opinion Harry's mummy, I think most people would agree. But I think we are talking about when you get really drunk and have a bad hangover, that's when you pay for it and it makes anxiety a lot worse.

Thread Information