Thread: Probiotics

Probiotics

Hi guys, I know that this forum is not intended for medial advice, but I was just wondering if anyone thinks that probiotics could help combat/ prevent these nasty stomach bugs, which go round this time of year? I have been taking them for about 2 years now, but can't really determine whether they work or not, if you know what I mean. Does anybody know this or can anybody say that they didn't have tummy illnesses while taking them? Thanks for your time.

Re: Probiotics

Unfortunately, Iced_diamond, I dont think that probiotics would do that. I'm not a trained health person but I'm sure they would help to keep you in good shape. Same as eating well - making sure you have your 5 a day - plenty of fruit/vegetables. Also, avoiding stress (ha ha ha), having a good sleep pattern & getting exercise. All these things (which i know sound really simple) are important in helping you avoid catching nasty germs. The more positive you are about your health, the less likely you are to become ill.
    I take probiotics. I started them when I was no longer able to eat cheese (I'd get really bad stomach ache within minutes of starting to eat it). I also realised that sugary things were giving me problems with oral thrush. Probiotics worked wonders for me & I still continue to take them. I have found them extremely beneficial as they are good for your guts generally.
    Most likely they'd be something that is helping your general well being but I suppose it's a fact of life that there are germs about. I hate them too.... but keep telling myself I just have to get on with life & not think too hard about things I'm less able to control.

Good advice Tessar. I'm also glad that they've worked well for you. I guess it's hard to say whether they protect from the nasties, as if you take them and don't happen to get a sick bug, that's no proof really. I think I do remember hearing that they don't necessarily protect you from sick bugs, but they don't do any harm either and in the meantime what's wrong with at least hoping they may help?

Quote Originally Posted by Iced_diamond View Post
    Good advice Tessar. I'm also glad that they've worked well for you. I guess it's hard to say whether they protect from the nasties, as if you take them and don't happen to get a sick bug, that's no proof really. I think I do remember hearing that they don't necessarily protect you from sick bugs, but they don't do any harm either and in the meantime what's wrong with at least hoping they may help?
    yes i'd say they do help prevent catching things as they assist in ensuring your body is at its best to fight things off & so you'd be less susceptible

Iced Diamond, are you able to say which probiotics you are taking as I would like to give them a go.

I just read something really interesting in a magazine produced by the place where I get my supplements from....... the article said:

"Probiotics have been shown to help shorten the length of infections such as diarrhoea and sickness, colds and flu and to prevent and treat antibiotic-associated diarrhoea and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). There is also growing evidence that they may have wider health benefits from improving digestive health to protecting against inflammatory and allergic diseases and even preventing symptoms of emotional problems such as stress, anxiety and depression."

Wow, if this is all true then they are definitely something for everyone to consider taking!

Thread Information