Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, Im new with 6 years of anxiety and panic attacks

Exclamation Hi, Im new with 6 years of anxiety and panic attacks

My name is Melissa. I am 31 years old and have been suffering with anxiety and panic attacks since 2006. I am married and have no children. I have a very stressful job, my boss is very demanding and a very irresponsible husband who I love to death.

I am taking 40mg of Citalopram per day and lately my panic attacks are becoming worse. I have been to so many doctors and had so many tests done and they never find anything physically wrong with me.

I suffer the following symptoms:

Shortness of breath cannot catch breath;
    Feeling out of control;
    Light headed;
    I burp alot???? - had all tests for this - nothing wrong???
    Insomnia - lie awake scared i am going to fall asleep and never wake up

I am so scared right now and I really need to speak to people who know what I am going through. I just want to be normal....

Hi MelSilk

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: Hi, Im new with 6 years of anxiety and panic attacks

hi Nicola,

Thanks for the welcome.

I am busy having a look around now. Makes me feel a little better knowing i am not alone.

Hi MelSilk,
    you are not alone - we can all feel bad together and can get better together.

Melsilk you are not alone here and yes those are all symptoms of anxiety. (even the burping!)

---------- Post added at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:25 ----------

Have you had any counselling?

Welcome to the forums MelSilk. How long have you been on your medication for?

Hi Melissa
    I was on 40mg of Citalopram for many years and it really kicked the anxiety into touch for a long time but this year it came back with a vengeance, huuuuuge panic attacks! I went to docs and the short story is that she changed my meds as 40mg is the max dose of Cit. I don't know how long you have been on it but it is worth discussing this with your doc. I also had insomnia and a fear of going to sleep and not waking up, can totally relate to how you're feeling hun!

Hi all,

Wow, i feel so welcome here.

Been on Citalopram for almost two years. I have an appointment in january again to see the psychiatrist - going to ask her about maybe changing my meds - the only thing I hate is that I will have to get used to another set all over again - those are some of the worst times of my life - feel like a robot and so sickly.

The burping gets so bad sometimes that my husband cant sleep in the same room as me :( Not a good feeling - I seriously thought I had stomach cancer - but had the tests and nothing.

I am a smoker too and I have begun smoking even more than usual. Any useful tips on how to quit?? I have tried going cold turkey but it doesnt work for me and I know this contributes big time to my anxiety.

Hope to hear from you all soon

Hi melissa i truly feel for you as i have a severe health anxiety. I have just been to the doctors today having just hit rock bottom. She prescribed me citalopram so i will see how i get on with them.

Hi Shanna,

Citalopram really worked for me. The side effects are not as bad as some other meds I was on and that was bad. The most important thing is to keep on it even if you feel you cant. Trust me - it does help.

I was so bad I was crying all the time and couldnt stop. I had to work through all of this and I stayed at my moms without my husband for three weeks because it was so bad. Citalopram has given me a good quality of life.

The panic attacks I have had recently I think is because I am stressing about getting all my work done before I go on leave and money stresses.

Being on this forum has helped me a lot - I look at other peoples problems and try to tell myself that people out there are really suffering - even more than I am and that I know if something is wrong I come here and people listen to me and help me.

Good luck with citalopram.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information