Thread: Heart issues/Anxiety. Brutal cycle.

Question Heart issues/Anxiety. Brutal cycle.

New to the forum, so hello.

I had a panic attack just over a month ago and since then I've felt like I've had severe heart issues. My heart will race at any time of the day or night, seemingly with no trigger whatsoever. I've had blood tests done at the doctors, which came back all clear. The doctor prescribed me some beta-blockers but after taking only one, I felt infinitely worse. I was incredibly agitated up the the point I literally had to pace up and down my room. Ended up with the paramedics at my house taking blood and giving me a quick ECG but they said I was physically fine too.

I've smoked weed regularly, in large amounts for around 10 years (I'm 25 now), smoked plenty of unfiltered tobacco along with the joints, I've eaten crap frozen food for years-on-end and basically lived an incredibly unhealthy life. I'm not overweight though, if anything probably a little underweight. Since having these heart problems it's given me the impetus to eat far more fresh and healthy foods and I've been off the tobacco and weed, and coffee for that matter, for a month now. Unfortunately I'm still getting strange heart palpitations and a racing heart out of nowhere. It would appear that it's anxiety rather than anything physical but I was never an anxious person before this panic attack and the subsequent issues with my heart. It's a strange cycle of heart problems causing anxiety and anxiety causing heart problems.

My doctor has given me some diazepam, although only very few at a time and at a very low dosage (2mg) which helps calm me down when I feel an anxiety/panic attack coming on. The only problem is that this is clearly not a long term solution. My doctor floated the idea of taking SSRI's (anti-depressants) but I'm by and large not a depressed person. Maybe existentially, but the only real thing getting me down is this strange situation I've found myself in with the heart and anxiety troubles. I'm very reluctant to take SSRI's due to the side effects, especially since they make you more agitated for the first few weeks, which is the last thing I need/want. I'd like to inquire about CBT treatment but it'll likely be useless or unavailable to me since the NHS here in Scotland isn't very well funded in those departments. I'm due to receive a 24 hour ECG in less than a week too, just to help put my mind at rest that it's definitely not a physical issue.

That was all a bit of a ramble and I didn't really pose any questions, but reading everyone else's stories was comforting, so I thought I'd type out my own. Who knows how much longer I'll have to deal with this, or how I'll treat it, but hopefully it'll all be in the past soon and I can go back to feeling like myself again.

Oh and hopefully I've put this in the correct section of the forum, if not, then Mods can feel free to move it, obviously.

Re: Heart issues/Anxiety. Brutal cycle.

Hi Xander,
    It does seem to be the anxiety that makes you question you health issues.
    Almost all of anx sufferers go through a full health check at some point as the symptoms we get are so vivid and its hard to believe that i can be anything else other that health issue.
    Medications can be good help and it only depends if your doc advises and you if you really need it.
    I hope you will find a lot of good information on here and will not feel alone.

Hi xander, do you not think this could be slightly linked to the fact you've cut out weed, tobacco and caffeine when your body has been used to it for so long, I'm not saying start up again, just obviously this is a shock to the system and you will have strand withdrawn systems like racing hEart etc! If this is side effects they'll soon pass...

Oh and well done giving up smoking etc

It did cross my my mind that quitting the weed and tobacco would probably be contributing to my mind/physical problems. I suppose the only thing to do on that front is to continue to stay off them and hope that it will allow me to progress in the long run.

The doctor often suggests exercise. Joining a gym does actually seem like a nice idea, but it concerns me that if I go out for a jog, or do any form of exercise, I wont be able to get my heart rate back down. I guess I'll just need to ease into it and hope for the best.

Cheers for the replies. I will do my best to contribute to other threads too. It's quite therapeutic just talking/typing, as I'm sure you're all already aware since you all post here.

Hi mate, I too have anxieties about joining the gym etc, but rest assured your heart rate would return to normal after physical attitude, you wouldn't turn down a night of passion would you? Lol...it's the same difference

Hi xander I too have anxiety because of heart pains/twinges etc which I've had for 6 months now. I don't do drugs but 6 months ago smoked a legal high and instantly didnt feel right. I swore I was having a heart attack with tight chest, pain in left arm, felt clammy and my finger tips went blue. Ambulance came and did ECG which was fine but took me in anyway to be safe. Hospital did more tests and said my heart was fine. Anyway 6 months later (and two more trips to hospital since) I've now decided I had to go with meds and therapy. Tried propranolol first which didn't work for me just have me heartburn and now been on fluoxetine for just over two weeks.

What hit home wih me in your post is you saying you weren't anxious previously. Neither was I (knowingly). I had my first therapy session last night which is based on cbt but my therapist says she uses a range of techniques bespoke to each client (she seems very good but guess time will tell!) and said even though its early days she suspects I have been anxious previously and just not known it. My episode 6 months ago was the catalyst for my anxiety coming to the surface. I'd never considered this as a possibility.

My advice would be to give the meds or therapy a go if you can as I wish I had started to tackle it sooner rather than being convinced I was on the verge of a heart attack every day since which has been ruining my life. Face it head on. I'm learning very quickly what an awful and crafty infliction anxiety is!

Hi Xander so I've been battling this for 2 years now it started all of a sudden while I was sitting on the couch just watching TV when it hit I thought I was having a heart attack or stroke since I could not speak properly, my heart was racing I was shaking bad and breathing heavy my speech was slow and I could not seem to get my lips to move right. After I was told of my anxiety and panic condition they sent me to group therapy and put me on propanalin, adavan, collanopin, and Paxil I took these for over 1 year then after that they wanted me to stop the Adavan, collinapin, and Paxil it took about 2 months to stop once I did I quit propanalin also just beocouse I dislike meds so now I'm drug free but still have symptoms not as bad since I understand them now. After all the meds and therapy I realized that non of that actually did anything for my condition it mainley gave me information to help me fight this issue that is also why I think this site is great beocouse all the info u Need is right here. If you want to take meds and go to theropy that's great to, I personally am trying to fight it day by day. I hope you find what you need here and are able to beat these issues one thing that helps me is to keep busy don't let your mind wonder it will get away from you.

Thread Information