Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally being honest about emetophobia

Re: Finally being honest about emetophobia

since writing my last post i've managed to admit my phobia to 2 colleagues of mine; they were fine about it & didnt treat me like some weirdo. one was actually really sympathetic & said that it must have quite an impact on life generally. i suppose it does really. so i'm still going to keep fighting it regardless & not let it stop me doing things.

Hi peeps i just found this forum, thank god.
    I have severe emetephobia to the point like many of you, it controls my life, i live in fear every day, my son now goes to school and kids in his class have been going down with norovirus and im absolutely beside myself, its all i think of day and night, nights worse, its awful i fear my little boy getting it and passing it to me (how bad is that) when he gets ill i run a mile and my husband has to deal with it (bad mum) my partner is getting over a 2 yr battle of cancer and has had a bone marrow transplant which means he is at high risk if catching anything due to his immune system so i have to protect him now. Im so afraid, i have nightmares every night about vomiting bugs, i lost 2 babys due to my phobia of which were planned buy my fear got so bad when i started getting the sickness that i ended up inmental health ward with psychosis for a month and terminated the pregnancy and now my partner cant have any more due to all the chemo. I spent a year seeing him so ill, vomiting all the time through chemo and im disgusted in myself for being so afraid of this after seeing him fight something as fatal as cancer. I hate myself. I have pannick attack all the time and fear il be sick during them, i always carry and take anti sickness tablets, obsessed with hand gel to the point i rub it on my mouth. I hardly eat and fear the feeling of being full it causes pannick attack, i have so much to live for and be happy about but the phobia is blocking it. Im so alone and scared i feel nothing can help me, i have had cbt twice but it dont work. Im so so soso scared of norovirus right now, please help me im so scared :-(

Quote Originally Posted by pinkleeanne View Post
    Im so so soso scared of norovirus right now, please help me im so scared :-(
    Hi pinkleeanne and welcome to NMP. Since you mentioned Norovirus then take a look at my last post in this thread.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...=124382&page=5

.....and a ninja.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkleeanne View Post
    im disgusted in myself for being so afraid of this after seeing him fight something as fatal as cancer. I hate myself. I have pannick attack all the time and fear il be sick during them, i always carry and take anti sickness tablets, obsessed with hand gel to the point i rub it on my mouth. I hardly eat and fear the feeling of being full it causes pannick attack, i have so much to live for and be happy about but the phobia is blocking it. Im so alone and scared i feel nothing can help me, i have had cbt twice but it dont work. Im so so soso scared of norovirus right now, please help me im so scared :-(

Hi pinkleeanne so sorry to read your post, you have gone through so much. I feel this phobia is a very cruel one in the sense that it does bring alot of guilt with it. I do relate to you feeling disgusted with yourself & know it puts you in a compromising situation that is difficult to rationalise. I relate strongly to the fear, really I do. I didnt realise til a few years ago that it was a recognised phobia, I just thought I was the odd one out. Of course, since registering here I realise there's loads of us with this phobia. This does mean that you have alot of friends here to can understand what is behind the way you feel.
    Please dont hate yourself though because I believe your fear is also related to caring deeply for your family. You obviously dont want harm to come to them and this makes you a caring person and most certainly not someone to be disliked. Just because you have a phobia is no reason to hate yourself. I relate also strongly to how you say you have so much to live for & be happy about (but the phobia blocks it). That is so me. All the energy that could go towards a happier life.
    It would be best not to rely on the anti-emetic tablets if you can but I appreciate they are probably reassuring to take. I do use hand gel but dont put it on my mouth. You dont want to end up making your skin sore as that would be very uncomfortable. Using something such as a lip balm will keep a "barrier" between anything on your lips and your skin underneath. It would be kinder to you too. You do need to be kind to yourself pinkleeanne.
    Usually i'd recommend CBT but I know you've said you've done that twice. When you did the CBT, did they help you look at what lies behind the phobia? Until my partner recently developed an ear problem that makes her sick, I had no idea that my phobia had reasons other than just fearing getting ill. Because I was so anxious/scared I realised there just had to be more to it than simply fearing getting ill. So I made myself confront everything relating to it I could think of. I have a massive hate of drunk people (for obvious reasons) but have since realised I feel very threatened by them (especially if they are men). now I realise there was stuff relating to drunken brothers from my childhood that have contributed to this. Plus I once nearly choked & my body "came to the rescue" in the form of almost being sick. I fought that at the time (as a 12 year old) but eventually let my body take over. had I not, I dont like to think what would have happened. Now that I understand these things, of course its not a cure but it made me feel more justified in having the fear. I am continuing to try & combat it & not let it control me.
    I guess you are actually aware of the reasons behind some of your fear but I just wondered if there could be more to it? I've realised that when I did CBT, I dealt with the "practical" side of the phobia but I didnt really investigate it. Now, having done that I have felt some relief.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information