Thread: Anti-Depressents / Beta Blockers. Do they work?

Unhappy Anti-Depressents / Beta Blockers. Do they work?

Hello there this is my first post here but I have read many threads on this forum over the years and have found this site very helpful in learning how to deal with Anxiety.

Basically my anxiety started like a-lot of other people's, when I was in my early teens I began feeling 'tenseness' in my chest and shortness of breath (Mainly in the evenings). And then gradually I got other symptoms such as pains in my arms and chest and heart palpitations. Eventually my Anxiety got so bad that I felt sure I must have some kind of heart condition. I saw quite a few doctors who basically all told me one way or another that I was just feeling tense and getting myself more anxious by worrying. Eventually I was referred to a Cardiologist and I had a had all the usual tests carried out (ECG's, a blood test, and a scan) And when all the tests came back I was told nothing was wrong with me.

So over the years I have continued to have the heart palpitations and other anxiety symptoms (mainly manifesting themselves in my chest in some way or anther). But I have learnt to deal with them and I accept they are just anxiety.

However recently (I am now 20) I have developed new symptoms; Bad indigestion and generally feeling lethargic / depressed. Of course the first thing I did was Google these symptoms and of course the first thing that came up was stomach / throat / thyroid cancer. As soon as I read that the other symptoms are difficulty swallowing and a sore throat I began to develop them to, I also now have the feeling like a lump is in my throat.

I have seen one doctor since then who felt my neck and my abdomen and said quite confidently that she didn't feel anything unusual and that the symptoms I was describing were all symptoms of GAD, but I was hoping she would carry out some more in depth tests such as physically looking down my throat or having a scan, or perhaps a blood test to see if I have thyroid problems. I was given some Omeprazole to deal with the indigestion (which has worked wonderfully and I no longer suffer from indigestion) and was also told that if I continue to suffer from severe anxiety I should consider trying Anti-Depressants or Beta Blockers.

What I was wondering is should I try drugs or should I continue to deal with the anxiety myself the way I have done most of my life by simply ignoring it. Or should I insist I have further tests to put my mind at ease?
    I was also wondering if anyone else here could relate to my situation or has any other similar stories.

Sorry for the long post as-well btw! I probally should of put a TL;DR in.

Re: Anti-Depressents / Beta Blockers. Do they work?

Welcome to the forum.

Anti-depressants can be effective for some people, but they do come with side-effects that that make symptoms worse initially.

It all depends on the severity of your anxiety. If you're able to get through your normal day, if it doesn't curtail your activities then I think beta-blockers would be a good starting point.

I took propranolol, and later atenolol instead, and they certainly helped reduce my heart-rate and calmed me to some degree.

Mark

Re: Anti-Depressents / Beta Blockers. Do they work?

Hi. Gwether. (Welsh name?). I would suggest you have heath anxiety. Very common and very treatable. You can have further tests but it sounds to me as if you have had them all. Firstly, you should believe the medics. They do not often make mistakes, contrary to current belief. The risk is too great for them to do otherwise. The option to 'go it alone' is for you to decide. How do you feel about helping yourself? It depends how bad you feel as to whether you go on drugs. I do not knock them as they can settle you down and give you a chance to look at your situation. However, my view is that you can help yourself although it does require patience and perseverance. I am a great advocate of Dr. Claire Weekes's teaching and I would strongly advise you to get her book "Essential help for your Nerves", from any good bookshop. You will find that she knows what she is talking about and she got the MBE for work on Agoraphobia. Only £10 and well worth it. It has become my 'bible'. Look after yourself. joe.

Thread Information