Thread: Smelling pipe tobacco smoke - Hallucination

Smelling pipe tobacco smoke - Hallucination

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a little bit of friendly advice on what to do. I've done the silly thing of consulting Dr Google, but I am remaining rather rational in thinking that there could be numerous explainations. I'm not seeking any specific medical advice from anyone on here, unless you're a medical doctor. I'm just wondering whether I should speak to anyone about it or not. Ok, I'll expalin. I have in the past recent months experienced some hallucinations. They don't occur very often and don't impact my life a great deal. I have heard voices and seen objects and things move that aren't there. I do see a pshychiatrist and have made him aware of this. He is not overly concerned. What led me to Dr Google was a new hallucination I've experienced. The other day I expereinced a very viivd smell of pipe tobacco smoke. It did not last any longer than a minute. Nobody in the household smokes and I do not either. I was inside when this occured and the windows were closed. I am not aware of any neighbours smoking a pipe. It has only happened this once, but what led me to naughty Dr Google was that I have heard in the past that smelling things that aren't there, especially smoke can be a sign of a medical illness.

The question I'm asking is, do I wait until my next psychiatrist appointment (which is in February), or ring them and arrange for a new appointment, or do I make an appointment with my GP? Or should I just leave it, and if it happens again, then make an appointment with somebody?

Please don't scare me with any possibilities of anything serious.

Thank you for reading

Take care

Rebecca

Re: Smelling pipe tobacco smoke - Hallucination

Hi. speckles. I certainly will not scare you because I do not believe you have anything to be scared about. First of all keep well away from Dr. Google. I often wonder from whence their advice comes! You are under the care of a psychiatrist so you are in good hands. If he is not overly concerned then neither should you be. If you need reassurance (which is very important) then I am sure your GP could help or a call back to your psychiatrist (if that is possible). Strange smells, sights, sounds can all be part of nervous illness. In answer to your question. You have an appointment in February which is not too far off but if you are really worried then do as I say and get in touch with your heath professionals. Someone will help I am sure. Do not spend the time until February fretting about this. Best wishes. joe.

Thank you for your response. I keep telling myself that it's just been a one off. I've heard voices and seen things before, and although can be scary, I'm still here and they've not harmed me, so I'm going just leave it. I'll mention it at my next psychiatrist appointment. If it happens again, I'll make a sooner appointment. It's fascinating how the mind works.

Thanks again for your reply.

Take care

Rebecca

I would maybe tell your GP and ask for a full check up.
    In my experience with hallucinations, CT scans seem to be standard.
    Hallucinations are very common, we all get them, it's very normal to hallucinate when falling asleep or waking up.
    I honestly wouldn't worry too much about

Thank you for your reply Anxious gal. Part of me thinks I should speak to my GP, but a part doesn't, because I feel like I'd be undermining my psychiatrist. With the smell one only happening once (so far, fingers crossed), I might wait to see if it happens again.

The voices that spoke to me and things moving didn't happen whilst I was waking up or going to sleep, they happened when I was moving about, which is quite freaky. If CT scans are standard, I'm worried why he hasn't checked this. But, I'm trusting my psychiatrist's opinion and he says that the mind is very powerful. Apparently the voices and seeing things can happen as a part of what they are treating me for, so that's some kind of reassurance. I'm just saying to myself, the smell ones are too.

Take care

Rebecca

Thread Information