Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Yet another pregabalin diary...

Re: Yet another pregabalin diary...

Thanks rhusio

Feeling more anxious today for no reason, but I'll take "up and down" instead of feeling bad all the time.

The Doc also allowed me to go back on Propranolol, but I wanted only to take them as and when needed, so I've not added them to the mix yet

hi mark i was on a beta blocker for high blood pressure in pregnancy and found it stopped my panic in its track but now my babys 4 months old and my Bp is still highish my gp as put me on a different Bp med so am feeling the anxiety again....wish he would of kept me on it x

Also posted on Kayla-Marie's thread but I might as well bring my Diary up to date

Week 6

After popping into work on Friday 4th feeling quite calm, my anxiety shot up on Saturday and Sunday, I was in as bad a state as ever. No idea why.

Started taking Propranolol on Sunday, twice a day to start (although prescribed 3xdaily).

Tuesday 8th - On edge, need to go out for a walk on my own, but not feeling hyper-anxious, just irritable.

2 days before going back to work - initially on reduced hours.

Back to work tomorrow

Week 6 on Pregabalin (continued)

The roller-coater ride continues - felt a little calmer yesterday.

However, the propranolol made me very dizzy, I really had to be careful when crossing roads (on my usual 6 mile walk). Also had the most painful shoulder and neck stiffness - propranolol side effect or just muscle tension? Went away when I got home anyway.

Decided to use the Propranolol as a when needed, that's what I asked the GP for, but on the drug box from the chemist is said 3 times a day, so I thought I'd try it. I may do that if the Pregabalin effect keeps disappearing though.

I'm back at work tomorrow, but fortunately on reduced hours, and I can't see them dumping loads of stressful work on me straight away

Well, going out for another walk now, need to get my grandson a birthday card

Sounds like you're doing really well Mark - I hope work is okay and that your grandson has a nice birthday.

Do you find propranolol does much? I tried it 20 yrs ago and I don't remember much effect but maybe I didn't take enough of it?

TBH I only took it this time for a couple of days, gave me a really dry mouth and dizziness. It was hard to judge it's effectiveness this time, but I felt the side effects didn't warrant taking it daily, especially as I'm only 7 weeks or so into pregabalin, although that seems to be settling now.

I told the Doc I wanted to use it infrequently, when I felt extra stressed, and that's how I intend to use it (although he put 3 times a day on my prescription for some reason).

From past experience it certainly reduces my heart rate, which can help if you panic over a fast heart-rate, but I think any benefits in treating anxiety are minor. It's helpful if your anxiety isn't too pronounced IMHO.

That said, alongside other drugs, such as SSRIs or pregabalin, I think the combined benefit is worth having.

By the way, my grandson is over 200 miles away, so I'm presuming he had a good birthday As for work, well I'm being eased in very gently (shorter hours, hardly any real work) so I'm coping fine thanks.

However, I have a meeting on Friday to discuss whether I should be given an official warning for my absence.

I've prepared a long written case trying to persude them it's not appropraite. We'll see who comes out on top
    Last edited by Mark13; 14-01-13 at 16:28. Reason: Addition

Thanks for posting this. It's interesting to read. I'm on day 3 of Pregabalin and haven't noticed any changes yet but will keep taking it. If after a month or so, i don't notice a difference i may go back to the doctor and ask him to increase my dose.

It's also nice to see that other people also take Mirtazapine and Pregabalin too. Hope it works out well for all of us

Hi Smallie

From what I've read, and my experience, is that only high dosage is helpful for GAD.

My GP pretty much increased my dose every week till I reached max.

That said, most of what you read on the web is just hearsay, but NHS guidance states that 450-600mg dosages get the same effect - so basically if it's cheaper to the practice to prescribe 450, then they shouldn't go higher.

Twice daily, regardless of the dosage costs the same to the practice, so in that respect the surgery have a great deal of choice regarding dosage.

I'm certainly happy with 600mg, but it doesn't stop me having bad days, or even bad hours where the anxiety peaks, but it usually settles again quite quickly.

Good luck with your treatment.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information