Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another pregabalin diary...

Re: Yet another pregabalin diary...

Hi Mark13,

Stay with it - it seems like pregabalin is delivering some benefits.

In the early days of taking a medication like pregabalin, you are more likely to experience a roller-coaster effect until a steady base of the medication builds up in your body.

One way to counter this is to take the medication split into three or four doses a day for the first two weeks or so, then switching to the regular dosage. Doctors usually don't recommend this as it's too complicated for most pharmacies and patients.

Hello,

I only take 50mg twice daily and it has helped me so much...I also take 7.5mg of mirtazipine at night.

I have suffered with depression/anxiety for around 12 years now and have taken a few ad's citalopram been the most successive previoulsy but even then I would still occasionally struggle with anxiety...citalopram did not work the last time I suffered so I had to change to mirtazipine...this helped so much but I still suffered anxiety UNTIL someone on here suggested Pregabalin and goodness me I have never looked back!! It has been a huge turn round for me...I was lucky my GP happily prescribed it for me and still does with no problems.

Good luck with it...I hope you benefit as I have.

Jo.x

Thanks Jo

It's great to see people benefitting from this drug as it's pretty much my last resort.

Since my "breakdown" in 1993 I've been on (or tried for more than a week) as far as I recall:

Tricyclics: Doxepin, Dusulepin (aka dothiepin) and Lofepramine

SSRIs: fluoxetine, citalopram and fluvoxamine.

Others: trazodone, mirtazapine and pregabalin.

My combination of Mirtazapine and Pregabalin doesn't have to make me feel great, I just want to feel strong enough to cope with work and stress without being ill.

Can I ask - how long have you been on pregabalin and how long did it take for you to really notice the benefits?

Thanks

Hi Mark,

I've been taking pregabalin for two and a half years, and mirtazapine for a few years before that.

It took about four hours for my first dose of pregabalin to work. It took away years of background anxiety like wiping a dirty window clean. Since then I've moved up to taking the maximum dose, and it doesn't make me 100% anxiety free, but it's given me the confidence to go back into the full-time workforce.

Hi Mark,

I have been taking pregabalin for two and a half years as well!! I started to feel a difference after about a week...it was very quick for me...I had been taking mirtazipine for about 3 months before that. It really has changed my life...I used to wake up with dreadful anxiety which sometimes stayed with me for most of the day (evenings been the only time it seemed to go when at its worst) now I do wake up with very slight anxiety but by the time I have got up it has gone and I can now enjoy my days...and my life so much more. I used to think it was something I just had to live with and tried to make the best of it but it really hampered a lot of things...I found I was ok until something changed or I had to go away or something then it would rear its head and make an appearance.

Pregabalin and mirt have been the perfect combination for me.

Sorry gone on a bit....

Hope that helps and I so hope it helps you too.

Hanshan I didnt realise we had the same meds thing in common...glad it helps you too!!

Jo.x

Do people think it would be possible to drive while taking pregabablin ? I'm guessing the feeling of being drunk must surely wear off in due course like it does with antidepressants ?

Thanks Jo and hanshan

Well I'm on day 17 and apart from the odd few hours over the last few days when I feel good, I don't feel any major improvement as yet.

I'm trying to put into practice "mindfulness" and breathing exercises too.

Also I've got the most heinous munchies the last few days, worse that mirtazapine munchies alone. As I'm overweight I hope I can control that

The fact you both responded quickly concerns me, maybe I should be feeling better by now?

I did feel great after the first capsule but it was just the "mild euphoria" side effect. Didn't last unfortunately.

I'm still off work (week 6) and can't see being going back for another 6, that's if this drug starts to work for me.

Seeing the Doc tomorrow to discuss progress and maybe a dosage increase.

Mark

---------- Post added at 17:55 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rhusio View Post
    Do people think it would be possible to drive while taking pregabablin ? I'm guessing the feeling of being drunk must surely wear off in due course like it does with antidepressants ?
    I don't drive, but I found I don't get the drunk feeling too much after the first dose of the day, I just got it bad when I took the second dose too early. It's trial and error as to finding the timings that suit best.

Day 18

Went to the Docs today. He agreed to step my dosage up to 450mg per day (150mg day, 300mg night) then to go to 600mg after a week.

Still off work, signed off till the New Year now.

I've had some short periods of quite noticeable calm over the past 18 days and I hope the dosage increases will help bring those periods back, and more often.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark13; 17-12-12 at 22:07. Reason: can't count :)

Hi Mark thanks for posting your diary. On 4th week of pregabalin , seriously struggling with increase in appetite, I just can't stop eating sometimes, especially at night. Not concerned at the moment as was underweight anyway. Keep posting if possible, it's interesting to read another persons experiences.
    Last edited by almamatters; 17-12-12 at 19:51. Reason: spelling

almamatters

Yes, unfortunately I get the increased appetite with mirtazapine too, so a double whammy for me at the moment. Plus I'm already 4 stone overweight.

I count my intake (popular weight loss programme ) just to try to stay the same weight. I eat loads of fruit to try to fill myself up, but the med munchies aren't really hunger focussed, they strike even when you're bloated. I'm also walking on average 6-7 miles a day while off sick to try to keep my mind alert and it helps trying to combat the appetite too.

I'm hoping with a bit of effort, I can reduce the compulsion to eat, especially late in the day, as you mention, that I'll be able to bring the "munchies" under control.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information