Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Yet another pregabalin diary...

Re: Yet another pregabalin diary...

4 weeks in, 600mg maximum dose day 6

The last couple of days have been good after a couple of really bad days anxiety-wise in the week (no triggers, just high anxiety).

I suffer badly with obsessive rumination, usually about past events (times when I felt embarrassed, criticised unfairly or just regrets - things I wish I'd done differently).

I used to worry about the future (but that was helped by CBT). I also used to have Health Anxiety, and although I still get concerned if I get a new symptom that doesn't go away, I seek reassurance from my GP and accept what he tells me. I can consult "Dr. Google" and pick the most likely illness, rather than the most scary, so I don't think I have a major problem with HA any more.

So, it's mainly the rumination and the physical and mental torture it brings that defines my own anxiety disorder.

What I've noticed these past two days is that the past events keep jumping in to my conscious mind to torture me as usual, but they don't torture me. What I mean is there's no (or very little) physical response to these thoughts, so it's easy to say to myself, yes, that happened, it's not important now, move on. That said, these things still will pop up in my mind, but should be easier to dismiss.

After only 2 days I don't want to get too excited, the change is subtle but very noticeable. I'm not ultra-calm, in fact I'm still quite on edge, but nowhere near what I've got used to over recent years. I'm even considering, or even wanting, to return to the work that caused me the extra stress and triggered this episode. So I must be feeling better

It's probably a coincidence, but the 2 day period where I've felt better has coincided with my changing the timing of this max dosage - 300mg twice a day, but 11 hours apart.

I'm crossing my fingers that this improvement continues.

If it does I feel it will be an important element in my strategy along with: this site, relaxation exercises and self-help books (CBT and mindfulness).

I see the Doc on 3rd January, and my boss on the 4th (for a sickness review meeting).
    Last edited by Mark13; 29-12-12 at 21:00. Reason: additional para

I'm glad you're starting to feel improved Mark. I'm still thinking about asking to try pregabablin myself but will probably be told I haven't taken the Mirtazapine for long enough yet :-s

Hi Mark, have read your posts, but wondered if you have noticed head pressure especially first thing in the morning? I used to get it now and again before pregabalin but notice it is becoming daily, wondered if it was a side effect. Can't read the leaflet as have severe anxiety about meds side effects and have to throw leaflet away when opening the box.
    Hope you are doing ok

Thanks to you both

I'm a bit more stressed today, but mainly because I've been out walking with my wife (don't get me wrong, she's great, it's me that picks up on things she says and stresses over them for no reason, looking for any possible criticism - one of my obsessions).

Also I started to feel more anxious in the evening too.

That said, I think the Pregabalin calms my body to a large extent, but the mental side I'll have to work on myself.

It does mean though, that when I'm untroubled by any triggers, I'm much more relaxed that my previous level of being relaxed (if you see what I mean).

As for head pressure, can't say I've really felt anything lately other than dizziness, dry mouth and the dreaded "munchies", although the latter could be just psychological, and most of these I get with Mirtazapine so I'm used to them.

That said, I really need to shift the 6lbs I put on in the last 2 weeks, as I'm now 4½ stone overweight

Keep at it, Mark. You have a very sensible approach to what we all know can be a debilitating condition. Your efforts will produce positive results.

Another thought about medication. How is your blood pressure? I also take prazosin (Minipress) to reduce blood pressure. I usually take it just before bedtime as it makes me feel a bit light-headed, but if there is a day when anxiety starts up, I can take it earlier on in the day, and it helps reduce the anxiety. It does increase lack of coordination, though.

Prazosin is being used to stop nightmares for people who have post-traumatic stress disorder, but I find it helps reduce my daytime anxiety when combined with mirtazapine and pregabalin.
    Last edited by hanshan; 31-12-12 at 09:41.

Hi hanshan

Never had a problem with my BP, one of the few things that's really healthy about me

Anxiety seems to be creeping back a bit since last night, but as I said before, maybe I'm expecting too much. If it "takes the edge off" and allows me to get back to work, it might not be a miracle cure but better than nothing.

Might ask to go back on Atenolol too when I see my GP on Friday.

Never been one for "cocktails" of drugs but I'll try anything right now.

Hi Mark,

The addition of a beta blocker is worth a try, even if it means taking a cocktail of medications.

Prazosin is an alpha-1 blocker. I've just noticed that there is a medication which blocks both beta receptors and alpha-1 receptors - labetalol. If I was really desperate, I'd ask my GP to try it, but I'm pretty sure they would say no, as it is untried for this problem.

But don't lose hope. The medications available have changed greatly in the past few years, and will continue to do so.

Thanks hanshan

Forgot to mention I've been on beta-blockers before (both Propranolol and Atenolol at different times) so it shouldn't be hard to get one of those again - maybe to use as and when.

Actually feeling good today, maybe the other day was just a dip.

I'm still anxious and easily stressed, but once dealt with I find my equilibrium quickly instead of going over and over events in my mind (rumination).

Also my stomachs not "churning", no cold sweats, in fact physical symptoms are greatly reduced compared to the hyper-agitation that I've had the last few years.

In fact if I continue to feel this way, I hope to get back to work on Thursday 10th (starting with a short week of course, too risky to start on a Monday).

So, up and down this week, but mainly up

Lost track, but about 5 weeks on Pregabalin

Had to go in to work for the first time in 2 months for a sickness review meeting. Got a bit stressed during, but felt quite calm beforehand.

As mentioned in my earlier posts the Pregabalin, now I've adjusted to the 600mg, seems to be reducing my physical reaction to stress and worry (no chills, fast heart-rate, nausea etc - or a least very little).

Anyway, I went to the Doc yesterday and have decided to go back to work on Thursday the 10th, starting with a short week and reduced hours for a couple of weeks.

I'm wary, because of the roller-coater ride on this drug, that this improvement might not last, but trying to be optimistic that it will.

The change in me is subtle, but very noticeable (to me).

Sounds good news Mark, well done!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information