Thread: lasting effect

lasting effect

if mirt works for you how long does it last for,meaning does the the effects wear off after a year,a couple of years the thought of it working and then having to change to another ad as i dont tolerate the side effects very well,thanks

Re: lasting effect

The direct effects of mirtazapine, like other ADs, will work off a few days after you stop taking them. They are not a permanent cure.

However, if you have made more lasting adjustments while taking mirtazapine, then those effects should not wear off.

Good luck with mirtazapine.

I only take 15mg so I can't comment on it's therapeutic value. At this level though I've had the side-effect of sedation which helps me sleep and has done so better than any other drug. I've been taking it since 2007.

However, the sedative side-effect is reduced as you go up through the dosages.

Apart from that I haven't really noticed any major side effects, maybe dry mouth but you get that with most ADs.

Good luck, I hope it works well for you.

thanks for the replies but what do you mean by long lasting adjustments

I'm sure hanshan will reply himself, but I read the post as relating to lifestyle changes and talking therapies such as counseling and CBT.

Basically medication is a short-term solution, changing the way you think is the long-term goal (as in CBT).

Personally, I'd be happy to take medication indefinitely if it helps me, but I do read self help books as well, and have had 6 sessions of CBT, but I can't see me coming off my own medication in the foreseeable future.

That said, it would be nice to be drug free as it does come with side-effects, although they're tolerable for me.

Thanks Mark13, I agree with everything you said, and don't have to add anything.

However, I may have misunderstood the original question. If it means "Does mirtazapine stop working even while you keep taking it", I can't give a clear answer. In my case, it has kept working quite reliably for several years. However, I have read reports from some people who say it stopped working after several weeks or months. Accordingly, I'd have to say that there is a chance it may burn out, chiefly in the first few weeks or months, but this doesn't affect everyone.

On the whole, it is a useful and beneficial medication that is worth a try.

I took Mirtazapine for 7 months this year and thought it was a miracle drug as the first 3 or 4 weeks on it, it took away my anxiety completely and I slept like a baby but then it just totally pooped out on me and despite upping to the meaximum dose it never helped me again, not even to sleep so I eventually persuaded my doctor to take me off it as it was never going to help me. Looking back I know exaclty when it stopped working and can't believe I sallied along for all those months hoping it would work again.
    My ex Husband has been on Mirtazapine 4 years now and it still works a treat for him though.

Even though I've been on Mirtazapine for 5 years, it's been mainly at 15mg, it helped my anxiety as the sedative effect combated my acute insomnia which was the main driver behind my anxiety state.

So, apart from the odd few weeks when I've tried 30mg (on Doc's instructions) I've not been on a therapeutic dose.

All I can say over that time, is that the sedative side-effect is still working for me after 5 years (which is why I still take it alongside Pregabalin).

All other drugs I've been prescribed to help me sleep, the effects wore off quickly, but still worked on an "as and when" basis (dosulepin, trazodone).

Thread Information