or should I actually half the tablet so only taking 12mgs 2x daily
    The doctor called it a mood stabiliser, which sounded ok, but on the
    leaflet with them they are actually antipsychotic medication, that
    sounds so scary
    What do I do, just want someone to say I will be ok, anyone else out there
    felt like this about quetiapine then taken it and its been ok
    Manda

Re: Fear of taking medication

I don't have any experience of this drug, but if in doubt halve the dose.

BobbyDog

1. Search google for mortal dose
    2. Search google for much time it will remain in your body.
    3. Think of the past XXX days you took medicines (or even this medicines) and nothing happened.

Hi Manda,

Sorry I can't give a very good response to your post, but I'll try. My psychiatrist did suggest mood stabilisers to me, don't know the names though. I also have a fear of taking medication, so it was decided between us that I didn't want to take it, plus I didn't like the idea of the side effects, so I'm not taking any. That's my own personal choice, so please don't let that put you off.

You say that it is an antipsychotic, but that doesn't mean the doctor thinks you are psychotic. They can be used for a variety of conditions. For example, if I recall correctly (apologies if I'm incorrrect), people suffering from epilepsy can be prescribed antipsychotics and Beta blockers can also be used for migraines, not just for heart conditions. Please don't worry about what the leaflet says.

I wouldn't recommend googling, google can bring up all sorts of irrelevant things, and could possibly make your anxieties even worse. Before you half it, I would suggest speaking to your doctor regarding the medication, or a pharmacist (as they are trained in giving advice about medication). I'm not a doctor or a chemist, but the type of medication may not be suitable for halfing, ie it may not be absorbed properly in the body if tampered with, or it may not have any affect at all.

Good luck and I hope you find the reassurance you need

Take care

Rebecca

I can't offer any advice about the medication you've been prescribed as I've never taken it but I always afraid of taking new medication in case of any side effects. I've found the most helpful thing to do is have a relative read the leaflet for me and stay away from Google if you can! If I read the leaflet I'll only convince myself I got every side effect mentioned within 5 mins of taking it but if you have a relative you trust to read it and ensure it won't counteract with any other meds you take then that might be helpful.

Also, bear in mind that it can take a few days for new meds to get in your system so you may feel a little wobbly (probably caused mainly by the anxiety of taking it) but once you've got through the first 24hrs without any issues hopefully you'll be more confident about taking it.

Hi
    Thank you for all you replys, it really is appreciated
    Speckles....doctor said if I stay on the small dose I should not
    experience any side effects ( not sure about that)
    Feel such a wimp, sitting here now feeling awful the weird far away
    feeling trying to keep the panic from coming
    Could cry don't know how much more I can take of this.....mind racing
    100 miles a hour,thinking I could take the quetiapine and it be the best choice
    and could feel brilliant ( what to do)
    Manda

try to watch a movie,etc after you take them.

Quote Originally Posted by mandshere2000 View Post
    The doctor called it a mood stabiliser, which sounded ok, but on the leaflet with them they are actually antipsychotic medication, that sounds so scary
    Don't let that worry you. Yes it's designed for bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, but it's also licensed for depression, and "off label" for anxiety I believe.

I'm on Pregabalin, which is described as an anti-convulsant (to treat epilepsy), but it's also licensed for GAD so I don't bother about it's original purpose if it helps me.

Also, personally, I would always take the dosage prescribed, but it's your body and your choice of course.

Hi mark
    I did read up on pregabalin and wondered if I would be better on that
    did you get any side effects
    I get quite bad downers and depersonalisation, but what scares me is I have a book
    on DP wrote by doctors from the mausdley hospital in London and they do not recommend
    antipsychotic medication for DP or DR....I know sometimes its not wise to read to much
    but these are the experts on DP
    I actually waited 6 months to get the appointment with the psychiatrist and it was only to
    see if he would refer me to the mausdley but he refused and prescribed the quetiapine
    Manda

---------- Post added at 00:03 ---------- Previous post was at 00:00 ----------

I think I need to hear from anyone that has DP and taken quetiapine

---------- Post added at 00:03 ---------- Previous post was at 00:03 ----------

and that it's helped

Quote Originally Posted by mandshere2000 View Post
    Hi mark
    I did read up on pregabalin and wondered if I would be better on that
    did you get any side effects I get quite bad downers and depersonalisation, but what scares me is I have a book on DP wrote by doctors from the mausdley hospital in London and they do not recommend
    antipsychotic medication for DP or DR....I know sometimes its not wise to read to much but these are the experts on DP
    Manda

I've had constant derealisation for 34 years (rather than DP which I've only had on occasion) and I think the Pregabalin is helping a little in that regard although I'm still liaising with my GP over the most suitable dosage.

There are minor sexual side effects, but the other side-effects (for me) of sleepiness and double vision have pretty much gone by being careful of the timings of each dose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information