Thread: I've been diagnosed:(

I've been diagnosed:(

I felt awful Wednesday so my GP saw me. He diagnosed me with social anxiety and said I have agoraphobic tendencies. He said it was all caused by my brother attacking me and losing my Nan, all in such a short space of time.

In the last 8 weeks I've started with hot flushes in my face/head, which causes me to panic. I then became scared to go out incase it happened, then more recently I ha a full on panic attack in a supermarket, since that day I find coin put to shops or any social situation very difficult :(

I told my GP I am terrified I am becoming agoraphobic. Before I go out my stomach flips, heart races, when in the shop or a public place I'm c shanty fighting it, trying to stop myself from feeling anxious. Yesterday at my daughters concert, the whole hour I just clutched my husbands hand, my heart was racing, flighting panic. I felt I'd let my daughter down, but my husband said the fact I still go out and push myself no matter how it makes me feel, shows how much I care and don't want to let it beat me.

My GP said to keep going out. I told him I feel anxious even at home now, all day I'm just fighting panic, feeling anxiety rush around. He said its come from feeling unsafe after my brothers attack, I scared out and inside. It's strange as I don't think of my brother now but maybe this has all been triggered by him.

My GP offered me CBT, he's referred me. He also said meds were an option. He's given me that option but as I'm allergic to ssri meds I can only take tricyclics so he's prescribed Dothiepin, reluctantly due to its dangerous heart links but I took its 8 years ago for a year for anxiety and he thinks t better the devil we know. Of course I'm too scared to start it but I'm also desperate to feel relaxed. I hate taking medication after having an allergic reaction, I ate any side effects. I also don't want to start medication, I just want to go back to the girl I was a few months ago:((

Last night I sat in a church service for my sons carol service. I manage it and actually felt relaxed. How I did it I don't know, but it made me wonder if I can fight this.

My question is do any if you suffer like I do, feeling anxiety out of the house to the point you avoid going out if possible, but also anxious at home? And do you use medication or not? I'm just interested to know. I feel under such pressure to take it.

I'm 33, married with 3 children, I have to get over this awful anxiety. I'm too busy to become agoraphobic:( Please advise if you can. Thank you.

Re: I've been diagnosed:(

Hi

God, I can relate to the kids performances and thinking, what if I need to get out.

You know, this post is really a success story, you stayed, rode the storm and didnt let anyone down.

Other than your husband, nobody knew you were suffering, that IS a success.

I take citalopram, 20mg and it has helped me.

I used to get the nervousness at home and WHY, I really dont know.

As far as avoid places, OH YES, I did this alot before I realised it was anxiety I had been suffering with for many many years. I'd be ill, did generally feel ill but, think the anxiety brought it on. I was always exhausted too.

I am in reasonably stable place at the moment and do my very best not to avoid stuff.

I hope you see your recent days as being more as a challenging time, rather than something you have messed up. YOU WENT, YOU CONQUERED....

Best wishes

Jackie

Thank you so much Jackie.

Do you think the meds got you to a more stable place?

Sorry for typing errors in post, this iPad is a nightmare lol!

I can relate to all of your story. I am a mum of one and thankfully I don't have to attend school concerts anymore as my son is now 16 and in college.

I have sat there in the past at my sons school paralyzed with fear and totally paranoid. I completely agree with your doctor, you must continue to go out and mix with people it is the only way to stop you from becoming agoraphobic.

I also have panic attacks at home and heightened anxiety most of the time.

Don't give up on yourself, it is the easiest thing to do, take the hard road and socialize.

I am only just starting to mix with people again after 18 years of solitude, don't go there.

BobbyDog

Thank you bobbydog.

Did you manage without meds? I really want to avoid them as the ones they've given me GPS don't like to prescribe now and my gp was reluctant:/

I keep going, I've 3 children 10, 8 and 7.

When I'm out though as soon as I'm there I imagine the panic attack I had in the shop last week which then causes one:(((( I know I'm bringing it on myself but I get so worried going out that I'm anxious before I get there anyway:(

Thanks for your reply, it means alot x

Hi Savannah

I was a long term anxiety sufferer who didnt realise!!

I had a "break down" in 2007 and knew that I needed to do something and,
    was in such a bad place sort of overnight, that I knew action was required.
    The meds definitely helped and I never regret taking them.

If, you get through this spell without meds, I take my hat off to you and, people
    can do it.

You sound very aware of your issues and, that is half the battle to regaining control.

Either way, the one thing I have learnt, is dont beat yourself up about what you have and havent done....

You made the church, you made the concert so, you are successful in beating the BIG anxiety thing. Carrying on with that philosophy IS the way to beat it. YOU BEAT IT, NOT IT BEATS YOU.

Thank you so much Jay. It's so hard isn't it, it's a constant battle.

I hope I can fight this, I probably do need meds to help me through the trauma I've been through but for some reason I can't face starting them:( I've been in then before but after what my gp said about the risks of Dosulepin, its hard not to be concerned.

Yesterday I felt so much better, I felt bright and I was me all day but suddenly I felt upset and anxious because I couldn't face going to the shops. I picked the children up from school and came home. My husband asked why I was sad, it was because all day I'd felt relaxed and find then if hit me that I'm still struggling to go out:(( Will I ever go to a shop and not have my stomach constantly flipping and my heart racing. Why won't that stop?:(

I was happy Thursday night after the church service, I did well but I still feel I failed that day:/

hi i just wanted to say that 3-4 years ago i had terrible panic attacks, agrophobia -I couldn't go out and couldn't stay home either...
    after seeing gp i first of all refused meds.I kept trying but eventually gave in as getting nowhere really [one step forward, 2 back]. At the same time i recieved CBT which was amazing, as first thing tackled was panic attacks. i needed to learn all about them -cos thats me, then was willing to try heading them off with correct breathing etc it took a lot of practice but now, as i have said before, i can 'head off' nearly all P.A. hard work but worth it... a lot of other stuff was helped with but that was a turning point for me. good luck.
    You are strong and i am sure you will beat this.

Thank you so much.

You've done really well, well done.

Can I ask which meds were you given and how long did they take to work?

I can relate to the stepping forward then 2 steps back:( I feel ok, nervous about going out but once there my stomach flips, heart races and I shake so I have to leave:( I do stick it out but rush around:( I then get home and cry, feel I won't ever be normal again. I used to be a shopaholic

Xx

I tried citaloprma for a while but it just made me jittery and unable to concentrate.

best thing is to make small goals and go for it. keep a record of your successes, and anxiety levels (basic CBT stuff) look at negative thought processes, predicting outcomes etc.

Thread Information