Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm worried about the topics about diazepam

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd reinforce what has already been said- I have never felt physically or psychologically addicted to Diazepam and I, also, believe this is because I only take them as a last resort and not on a daily basis. Everyone is different, of course, but this works ok for me.

Regards, Carlyxx

I only began this topic as I felt that people needed to hear both sides of the story concerning benzodiazepines. My experience is one of prolonged use (I stress not misuse, I only took them as directed) and just feel that people really ought to know that taking them day in, day out WILL lead to addiction, whether it be psychological/physical or both.

I would also like to state to make people aware that use of diazepam may inhibit the progress of behavioural therapies as long periods of prolonged use can cause aggitation and restlessness (ironic I know!). My therapist told me he thought that the diazepam was causing these symptoms in me and I have, with the say so of my GP begun a PHASED withdrawal.

My next drop is to 7.5mg is on Wednesday and I can't wait for it! I am almost a quarter of the way through withdrawal!

I understand that some people take them 'as and when' and I am in no place to argue with that, I just feel that people ought to be made aware of the pitfalls.

THE VOICE INSIDE YOUR HEAD IS NOT THE VOICE OF GOD. IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE IT THINKS IT IS! Cheri Huber

I take Lorazepam, 1mg in the morning, and as and when after that. I can take 4 a day when I'm going through a hard patch, to 1 a day and feel no withdrawal by doing this. I imagine if I took 4 a day for 6 months then I would be addicted but taking them as I do I find them a reassuring and useful option.

Benzo's used correctly are a very good medication to have. Like anything they can be abused. I have found antidepressants to be more addictive simply because you have to take more of them, and for a longer period, and you have to stick to the prescribed dosage.

--
    Blue -
    "Your truth is better for you than someone else's. Just get to know what it is, so you can finally own it, and speak it."

I reiterate I was using them correctly, as directed by my consultant psychiatrist and have NEVER abused these drugs. Benzos are habit forming when taken like this.

THE VOICE INSIDE YOUR HEAD IS NOT THE VOICE OF GOD. IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE IT THINKS IT IS! Cheri Huber

I was PRESCRIBED 1 mg 3 times a day of xanax by my doc. When I would go into the doc and say that I was still having anxiety he would just up the dosage. I didn't know until I switched docs that xanax isn't meant to be used long term because it is addictive and by that time I had been on it for 5 years.

By then I was housebound and sleeping 16 hours a day just trying to avoid the anxiety.

I totally agree that benzos are habit forming. There is an insert that used to come with my presciption that said this med can be habit forming so obviously this is something that is known in the medical community also.

I went to a website that has info on xanax and this is one of the comments under caution...
    Xanax ( Alprazolam ) is habit forming. You can become physically and psychologically dependent on the medication. The habit-forming potential is high; it is possible to become dependent in the first few days.

I also would like to add that while I was on xanax I would have never said that I was addicted to it. I thought because it was a prescription that a doc gave me that was used as he had prescibed that it was ok but that didn't make it any easier to stop taking it. I was weened off of it over several months and it was a nightmare!!! I had horrible trouble sleeping, headaches, anxiety that was far worse than what I ever had normally, and horrible mood swings.

I have come to believe that no med is going to cure my anxiety. I've made that decision that for me the best way is to face it and overcome it without medication. That is not to say that I think all meds are bad. I think that they do work for some people, shorterm along with other therapies or whatever to work thru anxiety and panic. But no one can say that there is a miracle pill that is going to cure my anxiety and knowing that I choose to face mine head on everyday with a clear mind med free.

I think it happens all too frequently where a doc just throws a drug at the patient and says 'here, let's try this and see what happens'. And someone in the middle of anxiety and panic just wanting to be free of all that comes along with it takes whatever is prescibed. I truely believe that until the medical community changes the way they look at anxiety and panic that there will always be a large group of patients that are unknowningly becoming addicted to benzos and suffering as a result.
    Very scary and sad but true.

xxx
    Sandy

hi there

however ive just read your emails and you are so right they are most definatley addictive both physiologicaly and psychologicaly and no doubt for the individual the psychological addiction plays a big part in the recovery process
    as this is it sounds like where you are now good for you your thinking appears to be clearer your problem solving is increasing all signs you are recovering
    good for you!
    it is difficult for individuals to comment as each one of us ar so different at differing times and severity of the difficulties they experience
    you must do what is right for you and my advice to you would be speak to the pharmacy your gp or nurse
    good luck
    www.needtimeout.co.uk

stress management nurse therapist hypnotherapy councelling relaxation holistic indian head massage aromatherapy face neck shoulder massage hand made soaps

I couldn't agree more Sandy!
    When I was in the middle of a HUGE panic attack (probably one of the the worst I've EVER had, with a tight feeling in my stomach like I'd never had before or thankfully since) my dad took me down to my doctors surgery and she prescribed me Lorazepam, (not telling me about the addictive properties of course), but I was so desperate and the sense of calm I experienced after taking it was intially comforting.

I then went onto diazepam for a short while (about 6 weeks) and then withdrew successfully, but my anxiety increased to an almost unbearable level a few months later and I was referred to a psychiatrist who put me on the diazepam once more.

Again I enjoyed short term relief but as my diagnosis and behavioural treatment was a long time comming the doses were upped and upped as I reached tolerance again and again. To add to this, January this year I was so aggitated I was also put on Lorazepam for six months (I have already withdrawn successfully from this about two months ago). Thank god my Cognitive Therapist interviened or else I'd probably still be on it now! Also, I now have a GP (there are six at my practice) who totally understands the pitfalls of benzos and is monitoring all the way through!

I also used to stay in bed until 1 in the afternoon, but since my therapy began I am up at 8.30 EVERY morning and cooking my own breakfast. Last night I even cooked a pasta meal for the first time in two years. I still felt edgy, but I saw it through and felt proud and liberated, liberated from drugs and liberated from the unhealthy habits and routines I had got myself into! I even went to my local shop this afternoon!

I understand that some people are comfortable taking these drugs and thats fine but I still maintain that behavioural therapies are the way forward in treating anxiety for the long term benefit of the patient.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information