Thread: Anybody tried this technique?

Anybody tried this technique?

I've had an anxiety disorder for over 3 years. Its affected me massively in the past but more so in the last year. I went to Canada in June 2011 and had an emotional breakdown in the middle of a trip to a festival after a bad experience smoking weed.

At this point now, I believe that I had an extreme panic attack which was worse than any panic attack ive ever had. I mean, it was just awful. It triggered this horrendous deep anxiety that made me feel like I was dying every day for the last month I was there.

Things improved quite a bit when I got home, I guess its because I was back with my friends and family so that comfort really eased my symptoms but I still didnt feel good at all.

About 3 months ago I started CBT. The sessions I was having really opened my eyes to how anxiety and depression really is self imposed. I feel like CBT really made me realize that you are fulfilling your own negative prophecies by believing deeply negative things about yourself for example, 'I wont be the same anymore, I wont ever enjoy the things I love etc.

Even up to last week I was still feeling awful. I felt like the CBT wasnt helping me at all but yesterday I started trying something that has changed my mood quite dramatically.

Basically, every time a negative thought comes into my head I dont try to fight it, even though I almost do try to fight it automatically. I just repeat the mantra 'its just a thought, its just a thought.'

I then start going through the thinking errors list and try to pin point which one I'm making in relevance to the thought.
    I'm still having really horrible moments where I almost convince myself its going to fail but I'm going to keep trying.

Its a technique that has been helping me over the past few days. Has anybody else tried it?

Re: Anybody tried this technique?

It is great that you are having such success with your CBT, if you stick to it and are eager to be free of your anxiety, then CBT is definitely something to make the most of.
    What you are describing sounds like a technique called "mindfullness", the art of observation. I hope that it continues to be a helpful tool for you to use with your anxiety. I am trying to use it whilst having panic attacks, but this is quite difficult. I find breathing exercises a great help, and once my anxiety is at a more manageable level, I can try and be mindful.

Thread Information