Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ECT (Electroconvulsive therapy) - feedback needed

ECT (Electroconvulsive therapy) - feedback needed

So who here's had ECT? I'm quite honestly terrified about it as it's been confirmed now when my psychiatrist, psychologist and care co-ordinator came out to see me for a two hour appointment this morning.

She wants to start with six sessions of bilateral ECT to start the middle of next month (including one on my birthday, nice...) or sooner depending on availability of pre-tests that she said are required. I have spent hours crying and could do with feedback from the community.

She said it's my choice but the choices she offered are limited... 1) Inpatient on a voluntary basis, 2) Inpatient on involuntary basis or 3) ECT. The team has offered long term treatment options which sound good but they agree that a short term option is needed and medications as well as CBT are out of the question.

Re: ECT (Electroconvulsive therapy) - feedback needed

Hi Piers I have never experienced ECT but I'm sure there are others here who have. I have seen some very dark times and hospitalisation. Sending hugs and I hope that you feel better soon. EJ

Thank you EJ, I was hoping you would reply to this as I've been following your posts over the years (promise I'm not a stalker ).

KK77 is offline NMP Complaints Mismanagement Controller

You obviously have concerns UK and therefore I think you should go back and have a longer chat to address these concerns with your MHT.

Hope you get some positive feedback from people who have had this therapy in the meantime though.

All the best.

ect works your put out for it it dont hurt
    you wake up with a cupa tea and your fine
    god bless

I do have concerns and have discussed them but just wanted to hear from people who've had the procedure to see how they feel/felt about it.

Thank you london for your reply, how many sessions did you have and was it uni or bi?

What is ECT ? Is that what they do in the film "one flew over the cuckoos nest"?

---------- Post added at 03:51 ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 ----------

I became curious as to what it was, this may help
    You ... http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/expertadvic...ments/ect.aspx

I think that the main problem is memory loss and also the fact that the doctors are still not sure why or how it works. I know people in the past who have had it and it usually produces quick results. EJ

Quote Originally Posted by uk23 View Post
    I do have concerns and have discussed them but just wanted to hear from people who've had the procedure to see how they feel/felt about it.

Thank you london for your reply, how many sessions did you have and was it uni or bi?
    4 lots at at st toms hospital
    whats uni or bi
    god bless

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:24 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CherylPrax View Post
    ECT gives permanent brain damage. Any immediate effect is due to concussion. A temporary euphoria which fades after 4 - 6 weeks and the patient goes back to how they were plus they now have brain damage. People can forget their education and many years of their past life. They can have cognitive deficits and be unable to make new memories. ECT machines have never been tested for safety on humans. Unfortunately they are big business which is why psychiatrists are lobbying the FDA (US) to relegate the machines from class III dangerous to class II as dangerous as a wheelchair so they don't have to be tested. The FDA are being pressurised by congress to do one or the other. Go to Dr Peter Breggin's website or Google 'electroshock brain damage'. Dr Peter Breggin will also tell you about meds.
    thats wrong
    god bless

Quote Originally Posted by CherylPrax View Post
    ECT gives permanent brain damage. Any immediate effect is due to concussion. A temporary euphoria which fades after 4 - 6 weeks and the patient goes back to how they were plus they now have brain damage. People can forget their education and many years of their past life. They can have cognitive deficits and be unable to make new memories. ECT machines have never been tested for safety on humans. Unfortunately they are big business which is why psychiatrists are lobbying the FDA (US) to relegate the machines from class III dangerous to class II as dangerous as a wheelchair so they don't have to be tested. The FDA are being pressurised by congress to do one or the other. Go to Dr Peter Breggin's website or Google 'electroshock brain damage'. Dr Peter Breggin will also tell you about meds.
    Thank you for your most unhelpful copy-paste post. Since you are so against it please do make suggestions.

This is not a choice that is easy to make, it's going as an inpatient (medication and psychotherapy are not effective for me), suicide or ECT. These are the options I've discussed with my psychiatrist. I really hope you are never presented with those options otherwise you might find your views changing quickly.

edit: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8010381 - I trust this more than a quack psychiatrist.

Quote Originally Posted by london View Post
    4 lots at at st toms hospital
    whats uni or bi
    god bless
    From what she said Unilateral is where they put the things on one side of the head only and bilateral is where they put them on both sides. Hope that makes sense. May I ask what changes you noticed in yourself afterwards?
    Last edited by mikewales; 21-12-12 at 20:19.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information